Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #1 
TaylerHill

Clamped fins yet making small bubble nest?

I've had my new boy about a week and his first water change is this evening when I get home. He has a great appetite and he is even starting to make a small bubble nest. I was kind of worried this morning because he was sitting under his nest with his fins all clamped close to his body and not relaxed. Here is a picture of him doing this this morning. Could it just be still the stress of a new home?
Attached Images

TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What size tank? Is it filtered & heated? If the tank is filtered & only a week old then it probably has toxins in the water & a 50% water change should be done. If the tank is not filtered, depending on the size of the tank, you may need to do more frequent water changes than just once a week.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #3 
TaylerHill

All three of my bettas are in 1.5 gallon tanks. It is heated but not filtered. I have been doing a 100% water change once a week and I am going to add a 50% water change once a week also since they are such small tanks. I will see if the water change perks him up this evening. Should I do a 50% or 100%? I don't want to stress him out too much with a 100% yet unless it would be better.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO, if he's been in there for a week you should do a 100%, 1.5g is on the small side, definitely add in a second water change per week. When you saw him as he is in the pic, which isn't too clamped IMO, was first thing? I'm wondering if that's the spot where he sleeps.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #5 
TaylerHill

I know the tanks are kind of small, but at the moment its the only option i have. this may im moving into my own house so im planning on upgrading them then. that wasnt fist thing, he has already swam around a little and eaten his pellets. Maybe he just needs time to perk up.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you calling his top fin clamped? Does it look like that when he's not at the top of the water? My experience with clamped fins are when all the fins are severely clamped, so to me yours doesn't look all that clamped.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #7 
Saphira101

Yeah, only his dorsal fin looks clamped, (to me) and the pectorals a little. Like Shellica, my only experiences with clamped fins were severely clamped.

(pics below)

What she normally looks like:

What she looked like clamped:

Last edited by Saphira101; 02-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #8 
TaylerHill

Hmm ok maybe I'm just being paranoid . He may just look that way to me because my other two bettas have very large fins that they keep spread out almost all the time. I just may not be used to a smaller finned fish .
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #9 
sainthogan

It looks like he's keeping his dorsal fin close to his body because he's close to the surface, both my fish do this when they're resting near the top.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #10 
TaylerHill

This picture is of him normally. I've decided he just looks stressed when he's resting, when he is alert and swimming around he is spread out. I'm just being paranoid Thanks everyone
Attached Images