Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 
Quills

My Betta is angry at me?

I had a sunken pirate ship in my 5 gallon tank. My Betta loved it completely and would swim around it the whole day. Now the ship took up 40% of the tank, on top of it, the ship made cleaning the gravel very difficult, and the sail started becoming green because I noticed algae started growing. So I thought to save myself the headache and when I was doing the water change I removed the pirate ship for good. Now it has been about 2 days since the water change it seems like my Betta is angry at me, all it does usually is swim in the corner opposite from where the ship was all the way at the back of the tank. It only comes to the front of the tank when I am feeding it or playing with it.
Can a Betta suffer from boredom/depression if I removed its favorite decoration? And what should I do? Also I have noticed that the end of it's tail is a little bit transparent today (about 3mm of the end of tail), and it was full of color two days ago.
Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #2 
Fishy Mom

LOL

Everything in my veiltail's tank had to be approved by him...down to gravel color. Nothing in his tank really matches, but he's happy. It took three silk plant purchases to replace a plastic plant that was supposed to be temporary. After I removed it he would lay under the new plant that replaced the old plant sulking until I replaced it with the plastic one again. He finally accepted the third plant I bought & built a bubble nest around it to let me know. I'm telling you if my fish had a computer & printer I would get weekly memos on decor changes, lol.

You could try what I did & keep replacing it with something else until he's satisfied.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #3 
Quills

I am not as rich though to buy such huge decorations or as often. The ship cost me 35$, and that was the money I had to save for a while. I did however split my moss ball into two and added some java moss from my other tank in order to fill up the empty space. These are the before and after images. I know current setting does not look too great, but I am planning to fix it up on next water change once some of java moss grows a bit, also the water looks a tad bit murky because I just performed the change and water didn't settle completely. Either way the new tank picture my Betta is hiding on the bottom right corner so he is completely invisible.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 
Fishy Mom

It looks great! Better than my hot pink gravel & mismatch of plants, lol. Maybe replace it with something cheap like a mug or pot. I know it might not match, but whatever makes the boy happy. I don't have a whole lotta money either, but my tank & rock cave (approved by fishy of course, lol) were free so I had a little saved for plants after I got my boy. ;)

I also go to flea markets & garage sales in the spring & summer so I keep a look out for any fishy stuff on the cheap.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 
Quills

Well I guess as long as his health won't be affected I am ok with him being somewhat angry with me. I am sure he must realize that the algae growing on that thing is bad for him, or that I can't clear around it.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #6 
Fishy Mom

Keep an eye on him just to make sure he's not sick too, but it really does sound like he misses his ship.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #7 
louisvillelady

Sometimes, I go through these posts and read as though I know nothing of bettas. This one is one that would make me think, "those people need to be committed"! lol But being a betta lover myself, and knowing how intelligent they are, I know that they will demand what they want!

Suggestion. Place the ship outside his tank right next to the oppisite side he is sulking on. Maybe even in front if possible. If it is the ship he is missing, he will try to get to it. If he is sick, he will ignore it.

You can go to walmart, and buy some cheap terracotta pots, and place them in a sucure manner for him to swim in and out of. They aren't that expensive. The smaller ones are less than a dollar. Two or three should do the trick. Lets us know how the little guy is doing. Hoping he is just missing his ship, and not sick.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #8 
Mal72

This happened to me too. I have a Delta tail halfmoon who is so particular that some people think I'm actually talking about a human child. He has a small castle that he loves and once when I had to take the castle out to move him to a larger tank, he pouted...Fins faded and he was sulking. So...castle AND he has a girlfriend. Okay, I have a 10 gallon divided tank and the other side houses a CT female. Call me crazy, but everytime I separate either fish, they go crazy. Once I moved the female to a smaller tank and both of them rammed their heads into the tank. During water changes if they cannot see each other, they will jump up and hit the top of the cup. As soon as I put them both back in their spots, they're fine. They sleep next to each other--on either side of the divider every night....Lol.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #9 
Otterfun

+1, my aunty thought I was crazy when I talked about Fred. She said I spoke as if he was a child. She enjoys hearing my stories about Fred, how he stayed in one place waiting for his food, poking at Yo the Snail, and chasing the amanos around the tank. I have to say, bettas have personality and they are so unlike other fish I have seen so far.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #10 
louisvillelady

lol Well after years of my aunt laughing and teasing me about how I talk about my fish, she finally asked me for one. Well she picked a male and female out of a spawn a couple years ago. Now you should hear how she talks! hehe
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote