Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #11 
Aurie

Next time you're in a store with a plant section (live plants) maybe like home depot or even wally world .. look for the orange terra cotta pots. They're usually really cheap. less then a dollar for small ones. Lay them on their sides, burry the bottom with the gravel and maybe put some moss or something on top and that would be cheap, natural decoration that won't change your water parameters.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #12 
majesticstorm

Teehee, bettas are like little kids! However, my Rain seems to not be a picky fella about his decorations. At least, he doesn't sulk for a long time. I had to remove his moss balls for his gill fluke treatment and he kept lying on the spot where the big moss ball was for the first few days. He's gotten over it by now. If only he knew that the moss balls aren't gone forever...

Hahahaha, too bad we can't just bring our fish with us into the store and let them approve of the decor before we purchase them, would save us a lot of money. People might think that we're crazy though, but oh wells XD
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #13 
Quills

So I posted the ship right outside of the tank, while using a mug with holes as a substitute. He keeps on staring at the ship most of the time, and doesn't care for anything else that is going on outside of the tank
I am willing to wait this out until he starts liking something else or gets over the ship, but I really hope that this won't affect his health in any way. For any of you guys that this happened, did the fish get sick? Because the discoloration at the tip of the tail is slightly worrying me. My only contentment is that he still eats like a pig, and is his usual self when I play with him.
Quills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #14 
Aurie

Then that is all that matters. Bettas change color all the time. Just keep your eye on it.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #15 
louisvillelady

I meant just sit the ship there for a short time 15 mins. Or so to see how he reacted. If he kept trying to get to the ship then he is sulking cuz you removed it and not because he is sick. I wouldn't leave it there permanantly cause that is more teasing him with something he can't have. I've never had a betta get sick from ulking. The fact that he is eating is good. Try to play with him a little extra if you can so he stays a little active. You could also put a little bit of salt in his tank and that will keep down some things. If it is a touch of fin rot, the fact that you just cleaned his tank will help clear that up. Give him a few more days and he should come around.
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #16 
Fishy Mom

Quills, I thought of you & your betta boy today. I was in rush & wanted to do a water change for my picky boy today before I picked my son up at school. I also wanted to rearrange the tank since he was pacing the last couple of days. So, instead of removing decorations & then him first, I decided to take the heater out first. He loves to cuddle up on top of the heater to sleep & rest. So, when I took the heater out I rinsed it down & started prepping his water. When I went to get his decorations out he was laying on his side under his plant (the replacement he approved) sulking. I tapped the side a few times & he just sat there looking sad. I looked into the top of the tank because he likes to greet me & play at the top. He didn't move. Finally I just sighed & placed the heater in there unplugged for a minute so he would let me take him out. As soon as he saw it he perked up. I swear he was kissing the thing, lol.

Hang in there! He'll find something else to love in his tank.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #17 
liz26914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
This happened to me too. I have a Delta tail halfmoon who is so particular that some people think I'm actually talking about a human child. He has a small castle that he loves and once when I had to take the castle out to move him to a larger tank, he pouted...Fins faded and he was sulking. So...castle AND he has a girlfriend. Okay, I have a 10 gallon divided tank and the other side houses a CT female. Call me crazy, but everytime I separate either fish, they go crazy. Once I moved the female to a smaller tank and both of them rammed their heads into the tank. During water changes if they cannot see each other, they will jump up and hit the top of the cup. As soon as I put them both back in their spots, they're fine. They sleep next to each other--on either side of the divider every night....Lol.
that is so cute
liz26914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #18 
quietlythundering

I know what you mean! I just added my newest betta to the family, and I swear Neil (the senior betta) got jealous. Because Blind Willie can't see, he doesn't pay Neil any mind, and Neil just sits there grumpily wondering why the newbie hasn't paid him any respect.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #19 
quietlythundering

I also moved his leaf hammock, which could also explain why his moodiness! Well, cleaning day is tomorrow, so he won't have much to complain about for much longer lol
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote