Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #1 
Oxitius

Please Help I Don't Want My Betta To Die

My Betta Fish

Sorry guys I just joined this community today and don't know much. I joined because of my betta and I need help. I'll explain my betta as good as I can...

So...I just bought my dragon scale crown tail male betta yesterday (2/11/13 Sunday). It was very active and wasn't scare of me at all when I put my hand in the water and on the container. As I was preparing my 10 gallon tank for him and getting everything ready (the aquarium gravel/filter/heater/water (used dechlorinator)), I then put him and his container on the 10 gallon tank for 10 minutes to balance the temperature before releasing him. I didn't have any decoration or anything. He swam out okay and was still active. As I was putting my decoration in he was more active and was happy, but then... When I later put a big decoration in ( it was a big rock that was a aquarium decoration), I think it scared him... It might've hitted him idk but for sure the water push him to the side of the tank. Thats when I took it out. He then got scared and probably stressed out and was hiding behind one of my decoration and wasn't active anymore. He only went up for air but then he went back to the same place. I went to sleep and woke up scared that the decoration might've scratched him when he was hiding and stress/scared. He's not the same as when I got him. He won't eat anything and just come up for air and then act dead. Please I need help... I don't know what to do and and I don't want him to die... Help me please anyone.

2/12/13
I came home today from school and was looking at him. I put a pellet of food in to see if he would eat it, but he wouldn't. Sometimes he would just go up for air and just stay there and then gently falls down and lay on the gravel like he was dead. He would only swim if he needs air. I need help I don't want him to die... I'll post some pictures and videos if I can. Please help me asap.

This is Link For picture and video:
http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by Oxitius; 02-12-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: adding pictures/videos
Oxitius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #2 
Aluka

Whats the temperature of the water?, is your filter baffled?

Sometimes they need a bit of time to get use to their own surroundings. Some bettas also gets stressed out when there is too much space (remember, all their lives they lived in a jar or cup, suddeny 10g is a bit scary)

Try turning the light off, my EE hates light, he hides whenever it is on =< but swims around happily when it is off.

If that doesn't work and he is still depressed about a few days, try sectioning of ur 10g, give him less space, see if he is less stressed. and increase his space little by little until he get use to the 10 gal
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #3 
Oxitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
Whats the temperature of the water?, is your filter baffled?

Sometimes they need a bit of time to get use to their own surroundings. Some bettas also gets stressed out when there is too much space (remember, all their lives they lived in a jar or cup, suddeny 10g is a bit scary)

Try turning the light off, my EE hates light, he hides whenever it is on =< but swims around happily when it is off.

If that doesn't work and he is still depressed about a few days, try sectioning of ur 10g, give him less space, see if he is less stressed. and increase his space little by little until he get use to the 10 gal
Thank you I'll try that, but did you see the pictures/video of him on my link? At first he was active when I putted him on 10 gallon tank, but i messed up when i put the huge rock decoration in and kinda scared it and stressed it (i removed it). so it went hiding and probably got scratch from some of the decoration. I don't have a filter atm, well... it broke so i'm ordering another sponge filter.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

DId you wash it first? There may of been something on the rock that is now in the water that is making him sick
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #5 
Oxitius

I just put him in a salt bath and he seems weaker than normal. i put him in his container i got him in and less than a tsp aquarium salt with his aquarium water and putted him in for 5 minutes. I just putted him back into his tank. I removed the rock after i saw it was too big in tank.
http://s1327.beta.photobucket.com/us...d2ca8.jpg.html
(rock photo)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #6 
Oxitius

Sorry to let you guys down... but he just died, but please let me know what was wrong if anyone knows and what I could have done to fix it... Anyways thanks everyone who tried to help.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #7 
Aluka

I'm sorry your betta died =(

I am very against salt baths, i feel like the shock causes more harm than good. Especially if the fish wasn't feel very well to begin with. Only salt, if you know he has an external issue.

The thing is, him being active when you first put him in its not very telling. He just entered a new surrounding, he thinks he's in dangerous and thus is more active.

But remember, as hardy as they are, they are still sensitive fish, sudden changes stresses them, if he was already stressed out from the suddenly change into the 10g, a salt bath probably pushed him over the edge.

Also any types of rocks you put in the tank, whether it was labeled as an aquarium decoration or not. Boil it, then pour some vinegar on it. Boil it to sanitize it, (so any type of hitchhiker disease will be killed, vinegar to see if it contain limestone, which will raise your ph)
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #8 
Stone

Looks like he might have had SBD was weird how he is swimming that is treated with epsonsalt if you look through the threads there is tons of posts on it, I would personally be more aware of water conditions if I were you especially temp and do not put the fish in the tank without it being completely set up, you easily could have had something on your hands that tainted the water like soap residue or god only knows what depending on what you have been handling.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #9 
Oxitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
Looks like he might have had SBD was weird how he is swimming that is treated with epsonsalt if you look through the threads there is tons of posts on it, I would personally be more aware of water conditions if I were you especially temp and do not put the fish in the tank without it being completely set up, you easily could have had something on your hands that tainted the water like soap residue or god only knows what depending on what you have been handling.
It was probably the decorations because it was all dusty, but I washed it, probably not good enough (washed my hand in process and always wash before dealing with my aquarium). After seeing that he had to swim 9 gallon of water to get air and it wasn't easy, I was draining the water with a thingy that drain water slowly with gravity my brother taught me to use. While I was doing that, I think my betta exhausted itself out and haven't eaten yet and gave up when he kept swimming for air... I think I know what I did wrong was putting decoration in while he was in it and not cleaning it good enough, the heater I had probably wasn't strong enough for the 10 gallon so I got one that I can change the temperature now. After reading a lot of guides and stuff because I wanted to save him, he died. I think the salt bath was something I shouldn't have done. Anyways thanks for helping me. Also one more thing, how long can a betta live in epsonsalt if I did do what you suggested? How long do I put him in there for? And last question how much do I put? Sorry for so many questions. Its just I'm going to get another betta today at my local store having everything set up now and don't want the same to happen to my dragon scale crown tail betta.

Last edited by Oxitius; 02-13-2013 at 03:47 PM.