Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #1 
louisvillelady

EE breeding

Years ago, when the veil tails came about, (Long before my "betta life) It was the THING! then they found out how difficult it was for the fish to carry around those very unnatural and heavy fins. So the hobby turned toward shorter fins for the good of the fish.

When the EE first came about, they were very pretty. Added a new dimision and "Flare" to an already gorgeous fish. Now it seems, they are breeding for bigger and longer and frillier pectoral fins. The fish seem to not have control of the outer portions of these fins. I do not own an EE betta. But do love the look of the shorter ones. While watching the videos of the ones with the larger EE fins, they seem to be a bit of a hindrance. An avid swimmer myself, yes, I'm not a fish, I can see it would be a problem to have a "flap" that I cannot control, hanging off the ends of my hands. Just a thought that I wanted to share.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Weird... I have an ee and she swims around perfectly normally.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #3 
Saphira101

Are VT's fins really that heavy? O_O I have a VT...

Also, perhaps it depends on the breeder, stock, etc.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 
trilobite

Im not a fan of EE either. Personally it makes them look stupid and clownish. Ive seen some fish with pectorals that are way bigger than their caudals, theres no way that can be good for a Betta considering that they use their pectorals constantly when swimming, more so than their other fins.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #5 
louisvillelady

Mattsbettas, yes, he may swim "perfectly normally", but two questions, how big are his "ears, (which they are not ears, they would be arms, if anything) and how much extra energy does he have to exert compared to one with ee in order to swim?

Saphira101, yes it all depends on just how long and large the "veil" is. The fish department manager at the lps near my house is also a member of the fish club. One day when I was in the store, she invited me up to her office to show me her betta. I was SHOCKED! This poor fella had a tail longer than his body. He would swim so that it would drape across the plants and the cavewthat she had in his tank. you could not intise him away from those things if you wanted. I asked her if she takes those things out when she cleans and she said sometimes. When she does, he goes straight to the bottom and waits till she returns them. Never freely swimming around the tank. I felt so sorry for him. Wondered if he would ever discover tail biting. He lived a short two years. Sad. I know she took wonderful care of him, but know it shortened his life.

Just think of what swimming entails. To swim, you are basically pushing yourself against the water to move. When a fish does not have control of a part of their fin, all that part is doing is causing resistance. Like a weight. To say that veiltails are heavy, does not really mean that the tail itself has alot of weight to it. It means that the resistance it creates in the water makes it heavy to drag through the water as they swim.

Think about this. Think about putting socks on your hands, with the ends hanging off the end, and wrapping a sheet around your legs with a couple feet hanging off the end and try to go swimming. That is what it has to be like for these fish with all this extra finage that they cannot control. I think the bettas with short ee is pretty. as long as they can control the whole fin. When we breed we need to keep in mind the life of the fish, and the integrity of the species. We can play around with color, for they are in the safety of our tanks. But the structure of the fish has to come at the priority of what is best for the fish.

Something else that gets me are the "short bodied" bettas. How do we know what they feel, or what they are going through. Sad.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

I have a HMPK EE, his "ears" aren't too horribly long, and I like him this way. I feel bad for any EE of the longer varieties, like Delta, HM, or Veil, tails and "ears" are just too much in combination.

What's worse is the "Super" EE's, their pectorals are easily twice as big as the standard EE.

Hu (my EE) uses his "ears" a lot in his expression, especially when he flares, and while it's not ideal (then again, a lot of the things we humans breed aren't very helpful to the animals themselves), he's still very beautiful, and active.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #7 
aemaki09

I love the look of EE bettas with their opaque fins, (dont and wont own one) but its not practical for them at all and I feel horrible that breeders are trying to breed for bigger and bigger fins. I would never do that to my fish!

I have seen them swim "perfectly fine" but I know it has got to take a ton of their energy away to be able to do that. I can't imagine why breeders would purposely breed for that! It shouldn't be allowed. The IBC doesn't have a class for them, luckily, because it makes them dis proportioned. I hope they never allow it. I hope they are just a short fad and people realize its cruel and stop buying them, honestly.

Sorry for being so scatterbrained with this post. My brain apparently doesn't like me right now and won't let me process how I normally would lol
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

As much as I wish that were true, I can think of a few other species of animals where detrimental cosmetics aren't a fad. Like pugs and munchkin cats... both bred for looks, both alterations more detrimental to the animals' health than anything.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #9 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
As much as I wish that were true, I can think of a few other species of animals where detrimental cosmetics aren't a fad. Like pugs and munchkin cats... both bred for looks, both alterations more detrimental to the animals' health than anything.

thats true. I didnt think about that when I posted.

Atleast the IBC doesnt allow them yet. I'm sure eventually they'll show up in variations then have their own class though sadly
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #10 
Skyewillow

Like I said, I LOVE Hu, and his "ears" but his are short enough that he doesn't seem to have much (if any) trouble with his fins. The plakat is the only variety I'll keep, it's a compromise for the both of us. Especially since he has places to rest close to the surface if they wear him out.
Closed Thread