Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #1 
iJessie

Female betta?

So I went to petsmart today because one of my bettas died so I got another one.
The container said female, and I was in a rush so I just picked one that looked healthy!
When I got home I realized she was MASSIVE.. I mean almost two inches massive...
She has her vertical stirps showing.
Is this size normal :s?
Heres a picture its not the best...
Attached Images

iJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #2 
LissaLooHoo

There are some species of bettas that do grow to over 3 inches. Have you check for her white O spot? Or the Egg spot? Thats usually the easiest way for me to sex a fish that I'm unsure about!
LissaLooHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

All the bettas sold by Petsmart (and pretty much all regular petstores, for that matter) are one specie. They just have been bred to have different fin types, colours, and patterns.

She looks female to me. Would help if you could get a clearer image of her at a different angle, but I am pretty sure. We have a female that is 3 inches long.
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

That almost looks like one of Setsuna's!!! May be female, but the ventrals are really long. The egg spot isn't always a good way to tell, as I have a male that has an egg spot. Look for longer, fuller ventrals. I also have a female with male finnage, but she is definitely a female. She has a shorter, fuller body as well. Males will have longer thinner bodies than their female counter parts. Sexing a betta is really hard when it isn't obvious, but it's really fun to figure it out! Unless you're like me and have a sorority going and find out you have a male with a bunch of females...NO FUN!!!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #5 
GoodMorning

that's a male petco "king" plakat, guarantee. lol :p
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

Hmm, I didn't notice the ventrals. Could be a toss up them. Maybe a young male? How does s/he flare?

iJessie said s/he is almost 2 inches long. Doesn't sound very king-sized to me... Plus, she was at Petsmart, not Petco...
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Could be half-giant. I have a 2 1/2 inch half giant. But he's a HM splended with an awesome spread. That doesn't look like a splended. :P
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #8 
GoodMorning

hehe, sorry for the confusion, i tend to call all those guys "petco kings", as some folks as well. I do believe petco was the first to carry these guys in the u.s and label them as "king bettas", then slowly and surely i started seeing them in other stores as well, including walmart. They are often mislabeled as female bettas. They are....too big for regular plakats and not quite big enough for giants, so most people just agree to label them as somehow related to the giant bettas.

Hadoken kitten, wanna bet on his identity? :D
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

Idk I agree that this would be a male half giant PK, so I'm not sure how we're betting is we're in agreement. xD
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

So Aru is a half-giant? We got her from Walmart Febuary 2012. She is over 3 inches long now. It would be kind of cool if she is.

Never knew any of the large chains sold wild type bettas though. I need to go look now...