Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #121 
Xaltd1

I've purchased on Aquabid; it's very simple. I believe there's a sticky on this site, plus there are instructions on the Aquabid main page.
All you need is 1. MONEY, 2. a PayPal account; 3. email and 4. a mailing address.
What you do is buy the fish (PayPal is really you're only practical choice), then choose the "transshipper" closest to you. The overseas seller will ask you which transshipper to send the fish to. Answer that email w/ your choice. I always cc that transshipper. The selected transshipper will ask you to pay them for shipping to you (again, PayPal). Make sure you use UPS Express shipping. (I have them mark "hold for pick up", but my local P.O. seems to think "Hold" means "put on the freezing truck all day then cram the fish in a mailbox".)
This simpler than it sounds, really!! These people are pros & if they need more info from you, you'll hear from them.
Express shipping is expensive, but shipping can be on as many as 6 fish at a time, so 35 divided by 6= $5.8333 per fish. Of course you've probably paid $20 for the fish, so it's pricey, but WORTH IT! Petco/petsmart/LFS is hit-or-miss. People (myself included) have purchased wonderful fish there, BUT if you want a certain color/fin type, they'll probably have it on Aquabid.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #122 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
(I have them mark "hold for pick up", but my local P.O. seems to think "Hold" means "put on the freezing truck all day then cram the fish in a mailbox".)
Sorry this just made me lol.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #123 
Xaltd1

They cost me a shipment of Plecos, but the sturdy Bettas survived! What REALLY cooked my goose was when the clerk at the P.O. roughly twirled and turned a box of fish upside down to scan the barcode. I asked her what part of "this side up" she was having a problem with. She actually said, "They're fish, they can swim"!!!!!!!!!
A manager who witnessed this invited me into his office. I blew his doors off. No wonder the P.O. is in financial trouble!!!!
Sorry, OT big time.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #124 
popcorndeer

no buddy relly like V tails its like this:

this is my crown tail and this is my crowntail halfmoon (isnt he pretty) and this is my halfmoon and this is my fish (pic of a v tail)
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #125 
Chard56

If you are insinuating that no one likes Veitails you are so very wrong. If you personally don't like them just say so. That's your right to have an opinion.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #126 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
They cost me a shipment of Plecos, but the sturdy Bettas survived! What REALLY cooked my goose was when the clerk at the P.O. roughly twirled and turned a box of fish upside down to scan the barcode. I asked her what part of "this side up" she was having a problem with. She actually said, "They're fish, they can swim"!!!!!!!!!
A manager who witnessed this invited me into his office. I blew his doors off. No wonder the P.O. is in financial trouble!!!!
Sorry, OT big time.
I know what you mean. I stopped asking my driver to ring the bell when there is a package cause she seems to think that means ninja through the landscaping, throw the package at the door, then run back to her truck as fast as she can. Sounds like a lot to ask till you realize they have to drop the mail 3 inches from the door bell.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #127 
popcorndeer

iam just saying that some people dont like them and think they are just plane bettas

i love v tails popcorn is a v tail
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #128 
Xaltd1

God Forbid they should get off their butts & come UP to the DOOR!!! Those YouTube videos showing Fedex guys whipping boxes in the general direction of the house is only the tip of the iceberg.

I love veiltails! I wish there were more pretty females of ANY tail type. PetcoSmart only seem to sell the dark reddish purple VT girls. I want paler/brighter colors. Since there is nothing much on the VT section of Aquabid, I have to turn to other fin types. I have mainly HM females b/c that's where the color variety is. I've gone so far as to buy a yellow HM male to try a spawn w/my bright yellow girl. I don't care about fin type, just health and color. (I haven't dared to put them together yet.)
I imagine that the popularity of VTs may have compromised the health of the fin type due to popularity. I hope the others don't follow suit. Bringing back the healthy, brightly colored VT is an investment in the future of the fish, IMHO.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 02-21-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #129 
LittleBettaFish

I think there is a market for quality VTs even if they cannot be shown in their own class. I know there is definitely one here.

A lot of people (myself included) prefer VTs to most other tail types. I found CTs to be too fussy with their water conditions, HMs to be inclined to fin nipping, and it can be difficult to find a DT with even lobes and a decent topline.

It's only unfortunate that they have been pumped out willy nilly by the big wholesaler farms without any regard to quality. The market is saturated by sub-par VTs and it is sad as this is the fish many people start off with when they enter the hobby and it would be nice to see VTs as more than just a stepping stone to the fancier types.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #130 
Chard56

[/quote} by Xaltd1: I love veiltails! I wish there were more pretty females of ANY tail type. PetcoSmart only seem to sell the dark reddish purple VT girls. I want paler/brighter colors. Since there is nothing much on the VT section of Aquabid, I have to turn to other fin types. I have mainly HM females b/c that's where the color variety is. I've gone so far as to buy a yellow HM male to try a spawn w/my bright yellow girl. I don't care about fin type, just health and color. (I haven't dared to put them together yet.)
I imagine that the popularity of VTs may have compromised the health of the fin type due to popularity. I hope the others don't follow suit. Bringing back the healthy, brightly colored VT is an investment in the future of the fish, IMHO.[/quote]
If you really think Veiltail females would sell, I would take the time and effort to take their pictures and post them to Aquabid auctions. I'm one of the few sellers with Veiltail males now. I have a couple Purple ones on there but I have other colors as well.

Last edited by Chard56; 02-21-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote