Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #131 
Xaltd1

I just lost my 1 and only VT, Gilly.
I saw your fish! I have several female HMs & 1 CT that are similar in color. Can you breed a completely white VT? That would be gorgous!
I don't know if they would sell. I'm into the sorority, and I want high-contrast fish.. I'm not sure what the market wants.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #132 
Chard56

I finally found an all White Halfmoon and am trying to breed him to one of my Snow Dragon females. So far no good. The White Crowntail spawn I had didn't turn out all that great. I may as well try a White Veiltail spawn, right? Anything other than the usual Blue, Red; Green (Turquoise) like White, Black; Orange or Purple Veitails are worth breeding even if you only get $5 to $8 a piece. The plain regular colors just don't sell well.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #133 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chard56 View Post
I finally found an all White Halfmoon and am trying to breed him to one of my Snow Dragon females. So far no good. The White Crowntail spawn I had didn't turn out all that great. I may as well try a White Veiltail spawn, right? Anything other than the usual Blue, Red; Green (Turquoise) like White, Black; Orange or Purple Veitails are worth breeding even if you only get $5 to $8 a piece. The plain regular colors just don't sell well.
OMG a white VT drool. I would love to see copper VTs too. Once I get all set up may my I can pair my copper boys with two VT girls
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #134 
Xaltd1

I think, if you want to know what NOT to breed, check out PetSmart's females- blahhh. I have to shop there because The Exalted One Himself, my cat, Jax, will only eat the $1.04 per can PetSmart food. These fish are his, to watch for his amusement. I'm just the slave.
I'm hoping more people will see the fun of having a sorority. If the PetcoSmarts of the country would set them up, people would see that you can have a tank full of pretty bettas! They are more entertaining than schooling fish- they chase, have personalities, and are always up to something.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #135 
Chard56

I know the problem of only having plain Veiltails to chose from. I started this whole project from whatever different and 4 ray females I could find at Petco, Petsmart; Pet Warehouse and Wal-mart. You just can't find a lot of them. I could never afford to buy off of Aquabid and didn't have a computer if I'd wanted to when I first started back breeding Bettas over 5 years ago. All my stock is pretty much bred from scratch.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #136 
Xaltd1

Good for you!!!
I'll bet your fish are 10X healthier than anyone else's.
Petcosmart are interested in making a quick buck by selling a fish as a novelty decoration that's going to be dead in a few weeks. That doesn't mean the fish are poor quality, the retailer is just responding to what sells. Do you know that a worker in Petco said when she asked what my new heater was for? "Bettas don't need heaters!" aaahhhgggrr
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #137 
SolomonFinch

thanks for the aquabid info!
i have to wait 24 hours for an account.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #138 
Chard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Good for you!!!
I'll bet your fish are 10X healthier than anyone else's.
Petcosmart are interested in making a quick buck by selling a fish as a novelty decoration that's going to be dead in a few weeks. That doesn't mean the fish are poor quality, the retailer is just responding to what sells. Do you know that a worker in Petco said when she asked what my new heater was for? "Bettas don't need heaters!" aaahhhgggrr
They don't, "need" heaters to live; they need heaters to thrive. My partners wife keeps them in their mobile home on a special shelf. No heater, so of course since they live for several years she insists that they don't need heaters. I can talk until I'm blue in the face stressing the point that they are only staying alive at 70 degrees but I'm sure you know the routine. Some people are just too stubborn to listen. She knows absolutely everything about every subject anyway so I gave up a long time ago. If you want to know anything just as(k) 'ole what's er name
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 AM   #139 
titolatino1970

i just bought this one

titolatino1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #140 
Xaltd1

OMG GORGEOUS!!! Love him!!!

Chard, don't you love the "know it alls"? They're such fun to mess with! I used to have a neighbor who would come over and critisize my house, pointing out repairs that had to be made (as if I didn't know). I would tell him "since you know what you're doing and seem to have time on your hands, come over and fix things." I would say this in all seriousness, he would be slackjawed.