Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #61 
veggiegirl

Thanks for opening my eyes....

Hey there,

Like most betta keepers I started out with veiltails and crowntails, at the time I did not even know that other varieties existed!!!!! After doing some research though I fell in love with the betta even more and desperately wanted either a HM PK or HM. Unfortunately our town did not offer anything other than VT and CT. After a year or so however a new petshop opened up and they offered HM, delta tails and HM PK..... I so wanted one but I couldn't believe they were asking $40-$50 a fish......

Time went by and so it seemed there just was not the market for fancy bettas here and so the petshop sold the rest of their fancy bettas off at VT/CT price and to my delight I came home with a nice turquoise HM PK. That was it I was hooked and I have not had a VT since.

This thread however has opened my eyes!!!!!!! some of the veiltails on here are just amazing and if I had the opportunity I would snap them up in a second!!!!!!!!!! Sooooooo gorgeous!!!!!!!

I think that it would be a great idea to include VT in betta shows because it would mean that breeders would work on improving their quality and offering more unusual colours. As it is most VT seem to be mass produced without any thought because they are simply trying to produce as many as possible to make money because pet shops will take almost any quality VT as long as they are not physically deformed or sick.

In saying that I think that all bettas are special because while some lack in finnage and colour they make up for in personality and make wonderful pets but I do think that being able to show them would lead to a general improvement in colour and finnage.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #62 
Hadoken Kitty

Inspiration

I completely agree with veggiegirl. I have been to the pet store and run across what I considered an almost miracle find: yellow, female, small anal fin, but VT. I was upset seeing as I wanted a HM, but now I am beginning to think that I may breed her with another pet store SDet that I have. While I know that breeding pet store bettas is not always advised, my hopes would be to get a nice VT line going, with a fuller spread that SDet offers. If I am lucky, then the fry will be VT will a nice wide spread, but with the beautiful tail lengths that VTs offer. Then, if things turn out successful, then I may incorporate a DT look to copy a goldfish-like finnage. VTs offer such great potential that many people, including myself, over-look. Here is a picture of the specific finnage I have in mind to base this project on. It won't be super soon, but this thread definitely has me inspired.
Attached Images

Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #63 
Skyewillow

quite a few of the breeders here confess to starting with petstore bettas. you gotta start somewhere, and there aren't many quality VT breeders around anymore because of the social stigmata that appears to come from the idea of breeding VT's.

Chard, that doesn't include you, the fish I've seen from your stock are beautiful and very nicely put together. ^_^
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #64 
Chard56

Pet store Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
quite a few of the breeders here confess to starting with petstore bettas. you gotta start somewhere, and there aren't many quality VT breeders around anymore because of the social stigmata that appears to come from the idea of breeding VT's.

Chard, that doesn't include you, the fish I've seen from your stock are beautiful and very nicely put together. ^_^
I don't only confess to starting with Pet store Bettas but using pet store Bettas exclusively! Thank you for the compliment also. As many forum members, moderators and administrators have found out I couldn't give a rat's patootee about the social stigmata of breeding Veiltails and pet store Bettas. There were no Veiltails for sale on Aquabid for years that I could see until I started selling a few different ones. Red, Blue; Green NO everybody and their brother had those colors. But Gold, Marbles; Purple those caught your eye and your attention and they sold. Now I'm one of 5 or 6 other sellers to offer Veiltails. And breeding pet store Bettas? I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into arguements with people over that subject. Especially on UB. I won't go on there since they crashed and if I do I'll show them my Grand Champion New Breeder of the year award and all my show ribbons just to rub their noses in the fact that I did it with pet store Bettas!
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #65 
homegrown terror

i think another good idea, as well as dedicated VT breeders, would be for non-VT breeders to stop culling fry just BECAUSE they're VT's. i look at the beautiful HM's and DeT's and CT's and wonder how many fish from that same spawn would have been just as beautiful if they hadn't been culled for being VT's.

p.s. i think you meant to say social stigma....social stigmata sounds like the worst possible kind of social anxiety you could get (and this is from someone whose own social anxiety borders on that line!)
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #66 
Skyewillow

yea, that. sorry, I'm having a really off day today. >_<

The fish I posted back on the first page is a pet store fish, and I've had a couple people compliment his appearance.

Also, hated UB. They're back up now, but I'm not anticipating going back.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #67 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm sorry about being off topic...but what is UB?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #68 
Skyewillow

another betta forum.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 AM   #69 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
another betta forum.
Found it, but didn't go to the site. My comp got a message about the site having the potential to harm my comp. Soooo. Nope, not today. I just wanted to look around, but now I don't. :P

Anyways, I am now inspired to find me that female that I saw the other day.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #70 
Skyewillow

it's had that problem for a long time, and no one seems too inclined to fix it.

it's not nearly as good as this one anyways.