Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #1 
Buttons000

Will he make a bubble nest?

I've had Shinji for about two weeks now and I was just wondering why he hasn't made a bubble nest. As far as I can tell he's not stressed, water quality is good, filter is good, temp is good. Are there some makes that don't make nests, or do they need to reach a certain age?

Here's his tank.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  50.7 KB
Buttons000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Nice job on your tank....

Sometimes it is due to water movement and/or too clean of water. You might try turning off the filter or reduce the flow and/or move the filter so it is in a corner so water movement it limited to one section. However, by turning off the filter for over 6h-the beneficial bacteria might be limited on oxygen-unless you have a lot of active growing live plants.
You can also try stimulating him with another Betta and sometimes adding tannins can help stimulate bubble nest building or lay something on the surface of the water-like a piece of IAL or dried Oak leaf to give him something to anchor a nest.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #3 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
Not all bettas will blow bubble nests. There are a couple things that can influence it though, the chief thing being watch the current in your tank. If your filter is putting out a strong current and isn't baffled or you have a strong aerator even if he does try to make one the current will make it holding together near impossible.

If current isn't an issue you can try using a breeders trick such as an aquarium safe cup or an IAL :]
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a 7 month old who has never built a nest.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #5 
Aurie

I have 2 bettas currently. Ted is at least 4 and Bill is probably a year or so maybe.. Ted has NEVER made a bubble nest.. I got bill in June and he didn't make a bubble nest till about 2 weeks ago. I put in some floating plants and he made a large one amongst them in the corner.
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

I have three bettas. My female blew her own version of bubbles, my male my thailand just blew his first one (and works on it every hour) since I got him a week ago, and my petstore betta just hasn't blown one. Guess some of them just don't blow them.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #7 
Myates

Bubble nests aren't a sign of happiness.. just an instinct behavior.. each betta is a bit different in what will get them to build a nest. Most of mine won't build a nest unless there is an anchor, such as what OFL said - a dried oak leaf or an IAL leaf does the trick for mine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #8 
sainthogan

My male only builds nests when there is a storm moving through. I don't know why, but that's the only time he does. He's gotten so predictable in fact, that I don't even need to check the weather. If I get up and there's a sizable nest in his tank, we're going to get a pretty big storm. If his nest isn't so big, it will be a small storm. Strange, I know, but it's true.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 
Buttons000

That's really cool abut the storm predictions. Thanks for sharing guys.
Buttons000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #10 
bettaboyshiva

when my betta fish dont build a nest i usually do a partial water change, And if you cant get the leaves for him to blow bubbles under you can use a clear plastic bag just cut a square shape from a clear plastic bag and place it to float in his favorite corner. He supposed to blow bubles under there.
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote