Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal.
What temperature is your tank? N/a
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? non

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin color enhancing betta bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? I'm not sure... I bought him recently. It was one pellet a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Just bought him; haven't yet
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta H2O conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Betta's under-tummy seems paler, discoloration around his head, rounder tummy???
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Before he was blowing bubbles and swimming actively. Now he just floats at the top of bottom of his bowl with his fins clasped
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? fasted for a day but then fed him again
Does your fish have any history of being ill? none.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him on friday. Today is thursday.

Firstly, I know my tank is tiny... but I'm afraid my poor betta is bloated! I just bought him on Thursday and he was doing so well. I was feeding him just one pellet a day and he was swimming actively and blowing bubbles and just seemed very happy. Sunday, I went to feed him and i noticed him taking in his pellet and spitting it out and taking it in and spitting it our numerous times and I got nervous because the food was drifting down and I was afraid it'd fall into the gravel and I wouldn't be able to retrieve it and he wouldn't be able to eat it. He somehow was able to float it to the top of the tank and I could scoop it out. He attacked the spoon as i took it out and i dropped in another piece of food that was smaller. He did the same thing with the first and ended up spitting it out for a while and I'm assuming he ate it, i can't remember. From that night on, he seemed sluggish and wasn't blowing bubbles anymore. I've been trying to see what works best with feeding him. I heard that just a pellet a day is too little? and I thought maybe he couldn't keep the food in his mouth because it was too large for him? so I tried cutting the pellet in half for him and a couple times, he wouldn't even go to eat the pellet or he'd take it into his mouth and then spit it out and then later go into the rocks and eat it after? the entire time he's been just floating with his fins clasped and i'm very scared! he's my first betta and I think he's constipated but I'm not sure! I fasted him yesterday and I came home and saw that he was working his gills very hard and his normally dark gills were moving such that i could see the pale parts underneath him and I was scared and took three pellets and cut them in half and sprinkled them into his bowl and when i came back to check on him, it seemed like he had eaten them. I wish he would return to the happy betta i brought him home as instead of just floating at the top of the bottom :( from the photo attached, can you tell me if you think he's constipated? if that's the case, should I fast him? for how long? should i pea him afterwards?

Happy Betta:

Unhappy Betta? (constipated? can you tell?):

Please help!
intelligentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM   #2 
Crowntails

He doesn't look bloated to me. He's probably a little cold. I'd upgrade his tank to a 2.5 gallon, get a filter, and a heater.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

He doesn't look bloated to me, either....

Since you said you purchased him on Thursday and started noticing symptoms on Sunday -- it sounds like you've had him for one week. Is that correct?

You also said that you have not done any water changes yet.

A 1 gallon tank needs several water changes each week. If you have had him for a week but not changes his water --> there is probably a very high level of ammonia and toxins in there. This could be poisoning him.

I recommend that you do at least two 100% water changes every week. Or, if you want to do fewer water changes, you can upgrade him to a larger tank....

To do a water change and acclimate properly:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release him into the tank.

Also, Bettas are tropical fish. As Crowntails said, he might be cold. Bettas need water temps of about 77-82. For most people, this means getting a heater and thermometer for them. When fish are cold, their metabolism slows down. They're less active, and they will eat less.

With regard to a pea, I would not recommend feeding him one. He is not bloated. What type of pellets have you been giving him? The two most recommended brands on this forum are New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets, and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. They contain whole fish products are their main ingredients.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-14-2013 at 04:19 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #4 
callistra

I agree.. he's too cold, and has too small of container so ammonia is building too quickly.

Actually you're underfeeding and also the quality of the food is below average. You should look for a good quality pellet whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day - one am and one pm - with one fast day a week. How many to feed depends on the size of the pellet you choose, and also to some degree the betta.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote