Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #1 
SepulvedaOntic

Swim bladder disease help

I know there's probably a thread for this already but I'm gonna make a new one anyway.

My female betta has had swim bladder disease for almost a week now. I stopped feeding her on Friday when I noticed it, then on Monday I fed her again (less than usual) but later on that day she was back to (barely) swimming on her side and having a bloated tummy. I haven't fed her since then, and she was just fine until this afternoon and now she's bloated and on her side again.
It just keeps coming back. I've changed her water several times, lowered the water level, moved her tank away from the other bettas tanks, put some salt in her water, and just today attempted to feed her peas (didn't work, but I tried). The only heater I have is a room heater but that doesn't work very well and I can't afford a aquarium heater right now.

I'm at my wits end, what should I do?
SepulvedaOntic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Epsom salt is used for internal issues (like bloating, constipation and buoyancy control problems).

Aquarium salt is used for external issues (like fin rot, etc).

I would do a water change and remove the Aquarium salt. It can cause swelling and bloating, and worsen buoyancy issues.

I would start with 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon. Make sure the Epsom salt is 100% pure magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Dissolve the salt completely in the new water.

Acclimate her very slowly back into the tank. (She's going from Aq salt to Epsom salt, so you don't want to stress her system.)

1. Note the temperature of the water.
2. Using a plastic cup, scoop her, along with some of her water, into the cup.
3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Add the Epsom salt and dissolve it completely.
4. Float her cup in the tank for about 15 min.
5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
6. Let her cup float for about 10 -15 min, or even longer.
7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
8. Repeat steps 5-7, until at least an hour has passed. 9. Gently release him into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #3 
callistra

More info and photos please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
SepulvedaOntic

More info? Okay...
2.5 gallon tank, no filter, no heater, only one in her tank, right now I'm feeding my bettas Hikari Betta Bio-Gold food, I feed them once a day (2-3 pellets, sometimes 4 by accident), I try to change the water at least twice a month, I use Seachem Prime water conditioner in their water.
Her appearance has not changed, other than the fact that she's mostly floating on her side. Sometimes she will be back to normal, but most of the time these days shes floating on her side. I started noticing this last Friday. I have no idea how old she is. I've changed her water several times and tried heating her tank but that didn't help at all (in fact she was down on the bottom hyperventilating when I was heating it). I've since then put sea salt in her water and today I managed to get her to eat some of a pea. She has no history of being ill (as far as I know), but my two previous bettas died from SBD.
SepulvedaOntic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 
callistra

The problem is chronic poor water quality.

In a tank this size twice weekly water changes are needed of 50% and 100%.

I would add a double dose of prime, stir it up then do a series of 3-4 50% water changes followed by a 100% change - using same temp water - use in tank thermometer to match.

Your betta also requires a heater, and should be acclimated to it either by floating in a cup for already fully heated tank for an hour or by adjusting the heater to increase temp no more than 1 degree per hour and 5 degrees per day. Also suggest getting a 25w adjustable as the nonadjustable tend to overheat, fail or cause lots of fluctuations. Any heater must be used with an in tank thermometer and you should test it 24hours in similar size container to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swim bladder, swim bladder disease