Betta Fish Forum banner

Dropsy

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  callistra 
#1 ·
Worst came to worst and now that I noticed the raised scales on his stomach I know its dropsy. I assume he had it sense I got him. This really sucks because I dont think I have the ability to save him. To get dropsy and never have eaten, I assume its ether a birth defect or the pimple looking thing on his stomach was a tumor. His water is crystal clear unfortunatly I do not have a kit to check his water. I can get espom salt tomorrow, I went around looking for everything and CVS has some.

As far as I know most fish dont live once dropsy sets in. I actually thought he had died earlier today and I was really upset then scared when he jumped and flew to the top to get air. The worst part of this entire thing is there is still a chance its tuberculosis; thats the only other thing I could see it being at this point.

He is trying so hard to survive and I want to help him but Im not sure what to do in this situation.

The only things I have at my disposal are a local CVS and Walmart.

The only thing I can think of is garlic and esalt but he wont eat at all. He hasnt had a single bite of food in 8 days.

I need advice about this situation.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dropsy has to be treated quickly. Epsom salt helps but usually you would need to mix Kanaplex and Metro. I recently had a female pass away from dropsy :/ it happened very quickly and she declined fast. The meds did not get here soon enough. I am very sorry you have to deal with this :( dropsy is a horrible thing. I would try to keep him comfortable and maybe keep his tank dark. I don't think things are looking good for him.

I don't think its TB. It's kind of a "wasting" disease when the fish will waste away before your eyes. If you think it is, though, bleach will not kill it.

He will likely decline quickly, from my experience with dropsy. If you can't get Kanaplex ASAP, clove oil for euthanizing may be an option if you are comfortable with it or if you feel that it may be for the best.

#3 ·
Dropsy is usually caused by water quality issues so more info would help:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Epsom salt predissolved and added slowly at 1 tsp per gallon. Must be 100% pure magnesium sulfate with no additives. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy.

Internal antibiotic, preferably kanaplex. If you can't find kanaplex Maracyn Plus or Triple Sulfa has been known to help. Also Maracyn (erythromycin same family as kanamycin in kanaplex) can sometimes work.

Treat for 2 weeks.

#4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 78(+-2)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medely
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 30% twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, no kit

I have access to marycin 2.

#5 ·
Maracyn 2 isn't going to help with this.

How long has the tank been set up? Most people will tell you that you cannot establish a full biofilter on a tank of this size and weekly 100% water changes will always be needed.. you can always try but you need a reliable drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and be test daily while cyling and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either show up. In a tank of this size it may be several times a week. Whatever else is needed, two weekly 50% with siphons will always be needed and cycling can take up to 2 months, if it ever fully establishes.

However, while he's sick you need to be doing a lot more. I would do 100% every other day while he's sick, or at least 50% every other day and 100% weekly. Make sure the new water is exactly the same as the old water by using the in tank thermometer to match temp and premix conditioner before ever adding it to the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.