Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

I guess I just bought a sick betta (Pale)

I've been wanting fish again I have not kept any in years. I have felt really bad for the betas I see in the pet stores in those awful containers. I randomly bought some from a big box store tonight. I bought a pretty blue one that was active and the fins looked good. I also bought one I thought no one would ever buy because it's golden colored ( but not a bright yellow) with no real color it might have some slight red undertones in it's scales. It also caught my attention because it was very active and followed my finger it seemed to be looking at me.

It's late and I was going to buy a tank but I decided to leave them as is until I read up on it. I am going for supplies in the morning. I did buy an aloe based water conditioner.

I am planning to get 2 Five gallon tanks tomorrow. I don't think I will get filters yet until I get advise on them. I will put that in for the first weekly water change.

Anyway going back to the fish I bought is it ever possible for a Betta not to be colorful and still be healthy if the fish is active and eating? The water they are in is really dirty.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #2 
callistra

Best case scenario they probably have ammonia poisoning from that crappy water. You need to get them out asap.

You also need to acclimate them to the new water by floating them in the new water for an hour while slowly adding a tablespoon of two or new water to their cup every 10minutes for a hour. If the cup gets too full, empty some of the water (throw it away do NOT put the nasty water in the new tank) and keep going.

I also suggest using Prime as your water conditioner because it will help with the ammonia and help avoid other issues from it during acclimation.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

Is there any medicine you would suggest buying while I am out buying other supplies? Can also put a little of the aloe conditioner in with the Prime? I figure the aloe should be beneficial as well.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

It actually is about this color but has some orange in it's fins the fins are not as big.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...y6bzo1_500.jpg
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I put the fish in a tank earlier today I've name him Julius he is chocolate and orange. He was swimming fine. He was able to go all about the tank. I fed him 3 pellets which I have read is the appropriate amount for feeding. But now he is floating toward the top. He is in an upright position but if he tries to go down he ends up vertical and can't get to a horizontal position. I've lowered the tank level at least to the top of the live plant. I am thinking some he has gotten swim bladder issues. I don't think I did anything to cause it since he swam fine earlier. What can I do further for Julius?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Does his tummy look bloated ? It does sound like a swim bladder issue . You can use unscented Espom salt, dissolve in some warm water and add it to his tank, its one teaspoon per gallon. Can you post a picture of him ? What type of pellets are you feeding him ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

I fed him Top Fin color enhancing betta bits (mini-floating pellets). The light isn't very good ( I still have to find one) so I don't think a picture will turn out good. I do think his back looks slightly crooked looking at him from the top.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #8 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

My little Cass has a crooked back too. Not necessarily anything to worry about. I have heard that the color enhancing betta bits aren't the best thing ever. I use Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets and they seem perfect. Give him some unscented epsom salt treatment and make sure to change his water often (100% every day is not an uncommon recommendation) and he should get better. Don't quote me on all that. I'm not exactly an expert, but I do have a vast collection of remedies written down from hours of research. :P
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

The only epsom salt I have in the house is really old -like years old. It smells a little funny. I've still used it on myself before with no problem. I don't know about the fish using it though. I do have sea salt.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #10 
callistra

I wouldn't use it, especially if it has an odor. Sea salt is not aquarium salt and that's not going to help either anyway.

Crooked back is injury, birth defect, malnutrition or disease of some kind (bacterial or parasitic.

I wouldn't worry for now. Watch his poop though
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote