Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #1 
jennydlee

Smile Hi everyone! new to the betta community, I have a few questions.

I got this fella last Saturday on the 9th and bought him without knowing that tanks have to be cycled.. right now I'm keeping him in a 3/4 gallon bowl and he seems to be alright. I've been changing his water every day or every other day about 50-70%. It's a bit tricky to check ammonia for me because I have the plastic strips instead of the liquid kit. But I'll be picking up a liquid kit and a 5 gallon aquarium tomorrow at Petsmart and will try to cycle it using the tetra safestart method. I heard it will probably take a week to two weeks? I don't want to keep Salami in that bowl very long.. I want to cycle it as fast as I can so he can be in a bigger space. Please give me advice!

Will he be alright in this small space until the 5 g finishes cycling?
What is the fastest way to cycle a tank without using pure ammonia?
Here's a picture of him. Is he looking alright?

He glass surfs a lot at night, probably because I don't have any hidey places for him or any real plants... He doesn't seem to do it much during the day. I feel horrible. Because of my ignorance my betta has to suffer..

Thank you in advance.
jennydlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Don't feel horrible you're at least making changes. I can't see the pic on this computer for some stupid reason. The fastest way to cycle a tank is to get seeded filter media from somebody, outside of that cycling a tank can take 6-8 wks on average. Pure ammonia & a bacteria booster can help speed things up but theres no guarantee. As for a hidey hole in his current bowl, is it big enough for a coffe cup or small non-clear glass? If so you can use one of those to at least give him a hiding spot. Is the bowl heated? That'll make a difference in his behavior & health.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Don't feel horrible you're at least making changes. I can't see the pic on this computer for some stupid reason. The fastest way to cycle a tank is to get seeded filter media from somebody, outside of that cycling a tank can take 6-8 wks on average. Pure ammonia & a bacteria booster can help speed things up but theres no guarantee. As for a hidey hole in his current bowl, is it big enough for a coffe cup or small non-clear glass? If so you can use one of those to at least give him a hiding spot. Is the bowl heated? That'll make a difference in his behavior & health.
hi shellieca! thank you so much for taking your time to answer.

i don't believe i'll be able to get a seeded filter media from someone. what are bacteria boosters? will it be available at walmart, target, or petsmart? getting pure ammonia will be very difficult for me, nearest ace is couple hours away and i can't drive. i can try asking my dad but i don't know if he'll allow it. :( will my betta be alright for several weeks in a bowl while his main tank cycles? what can i do to make him most comfortable and at home in that tiny space? if i have to change the water everyday, i will.

all of my coffee mugs and cups have been washed with dish soap, should i rinse it off really well with hot water or can it wait till tomorrow? i plan on making a coconut cave! i can run to walmart tomorrow after petsmart and buy a coconut.

and yes his bowl is heated! constantly at 79-80 degrees

http://tinypic.com/r/14bjx5/6

here's a picture of him.
can you see that one?

Last edited by jennydlee; 02-14-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #4 
Caii

Hello and welcome to the community!

Like shellieca said, there's nothing wrong with doing what you can so long as you're actively doing your best for your betta! ^_^

In terms of cycling a tank: first and foremost, did you read any of the tank cycling stickies? Very, very thorough and resourceful!

I just got a 10 gallon too, and I'm planning to cycle it as well. However, instead of pure ammonia, I plan on using the rotting shrimp method. I've read that it works just as well (since it's a steady ammonia release due to the decay), and since it's not a pure chemical, I'm more comfortable using it for my fish. In case you're unable to get pure ammonia, why not hop down to Walmart and grab a few shrimp? :3

To keep your fish comfortable, do you have a plant to put in there? Though the bowl's already small, a silk or live plant can give him a sense of security. Even better: if it's a live plant, it will take some of Salami's ammonia production and start to grow! An anubia plant would work as it has the broad leaves betta fish tend to lay on, they float, and require relatively low light.

If you prefer a cup though, a little trip to buy a new, inexpensive cup would do just fine (hot water rinses only!) The coconut idea sounds awesome! Just be sure to rinse with hot water thoroughly!

I've heard mixed things about the Tetra Safe Start, but please be sure to follow the directions and test the water with a liquid water test before putting Salami in there~ this will save him unneeded stress.

With a bigger space, proper water parameters and some good ol' fashioned TLC, I'm sure Salami will thrive into a beautiful betta ^_^

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caii View Post
Hello and welcome to the community!

Like shellieca said, there's nothing wrong with doing what you can so long as you're actively doing your best for your betta! ^_^

In terms of cycling a tank: first and foremost, did you read any of the tank cycling stickies? Very, very thorough and resourceful!

I just got a 10 gallon too, and I'm planning to cycle it as well. However, instead of pure ammonia, I plan on using the rotting shrimp method. I've read that it works just as well (since it's a steady ammonia release due to the decay), and since it's not a pure chemical, I'm more comfortable using it for my fish. In case you're unable to get pure ammonia, why not hop down to Walmart and grab a few shrimp? :3

To keep your fish comfortable, do you have a plant to put in there? Though the bowl's already small, a silk or live plant can give him a sense of security. Even better: if it's a live plant, it will take some of Salami's ammonia production and start to grow! An anubia plant would work as it has the broad leaves betta fish tend to lay on, they float, and require relatively low light.

If you prefer a cup though, a little trip to buy a new, inexpensive cup would do just fine (hot water rinses only!) The coconut idea sounds awesome! Just be sure to rinse with hot water thoroughly!

I've heard mixed things about the Tetra Safe Start, but please be sure to follow the directions and test the water with a liquid water test before putting Salami in there~ this will save him unneeded stress.

With a bigger space, proper water parameters and some good ol' fashioned TLC, I'm sure Salami will thrive into a beautiful betta ^_^

Good luck and please keep us posted!

thank you for the warm welcome, Cai!
i did read the stickies (they are very thorough and informing!) i read a lot about cycling on here and other countless sites on the net! it was very confusing at first, but i think i'm starting to get the idea of it and the different types of cycles.

about the shrimp method, what kind of shrimp do i use? cooked? uncooked? sorry if that's an obvious question.. haha

i have also read many mixed things about the tetra safestart but i thought i'd give it a try. maybe i can add the rotten shrimp to feed the bacteria? i don't know, please correct me if i'm wrong!

i plan on getting a plant for him tomorrow for his little tank! i was also thinking that an anubia would be perfect! i actually just ordered a cute rock cave on ebay but until that comes, the anubias or coconut will have to do. i will see which one Salami likes better. i plan on having lots and lots of plants in the main tank~ that should help with the cycling right?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydlee View Post
thank you for the warm welcome, Cai!
i did read the stickies (they are very thorough and informing!) i read a lot about cycling on here and other countless sites on the net! it was very confusing at first, but i think i'm starting to get the idea of it and the different types of cycles.

about the shrimp method, what kind of shrimp do i use? cooked? uncooked? sorry if that's an obvious question.. haha - a raw shrimp. You can buy a frozen one & let it thaw. Put it into a mesh bag or tie it up in a cut off pantyhose foot. This will help with the mess it will become. Test the water every 24 hrs for ammonia, when its 4 ppm (could take a few days to a week) take the shrimp out. You can put it into a Baggie & freeze for future use or throw it out & use a new one when needed again. When the ammonia drops to 1 you'll need to bring it back up to 4.

i have also read many mixed things about the tetra safestart but i thought i'd give it a try. maybe i can add the rotten shrimp to feed the bacteria? i don't know, please correct me if i'm wrong! You'll need ammonia for the bacteria to build so you'll use safestart (a bacteria booster) & ammonia in unison.

i plan on getting a plant for him tomorrow for his little tank! i was also thinking that an anubia would be perfect! i actually just ordered a cute rock cave on ebay but until that comes, the anubias or coconut will have to do. i will see which one Salami likes better. i plan on having lots and lots of plants in the main tank~ that should help with the cycling right?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #7 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
once the ammonia drops and i get it to 4ppm again.. how many times would i have to do this? sorry for the trouble.. i'm getting confused again

if i add the rotten shrimp to rise the ammonia then add tetra safestart
would it feed the bacteria?
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

For me it was easier to do the fish in cycle. But to do this and make it as safe as possible for your fish you need 1. API Freshwater Master kit 2. Prime Water Conditioner. Yes having live plants really help as they will use some of the ammonia from the waste in the water. Also you have to do lots of water changes this is a must do but totally worth it and once your tank is cycled you only have to do one 50 percent each week. There is a sticky here somewhere on the fish in cycle I will try and find it if you would like to read it. I was nervous when I did mine since it was my first time cycling a tank and my first time ever fish who did awesome the entire time he even loved all the water changes and would play under the water as I poured it in so it would swirl him around...lol

Now I could have not done it without all the help I had here. I have a 5 gallon and it took 3 months to cycle. Good luck and best wishes on whatever you decide to do and be sure and post any questions you have and read read read, I am not sure how many times I read the thread about the fish in cycle but it took awhile for it to sink in so I could understand it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Cycling a tank can take up to 8 wks, some take less. You'll have to "dose" the ammonia several times most likely before the cycle is completed. Adding the safestart may make it happen faster but there's no guarantee, some have had their tank cycled within 3 wks or less but you have to be prepared in case it doesn't. The good thing about fish LESS cycling is you don't have to do lots of water changes. I think you add the safestart from the beginning but I could be wrong, I've never used it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #10 
jennydlee

Update!!! :)

instead of a 5 gallon, i got a 10 gallon tank
the past couple days i've been having the WORST luck ever! i bought an aqueon heater and it would not work and gave my family a power outage.. so we had to return it then i got a filter and that filter was broken also.. so my plan has been delayed till sunday :( but it's all good now! everything's all set up now~

my mom wouldn't let me use shrimp for the shrimp method and because i don't have any fish flakes i decided to use dried blood worms.. would that work instead?

anyway here are some pictures!

http://i45.tinypic.com/28tfbic.jpg

the orange thing in the tank is a small mesh bag i put the bloodworms in!

Last edited by jennydlee; 02-17-2013 at 06:04 PM.