Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #1 
AHoneycutt

New Here, with our first bettas

My mom got my kids betta fish today. Right now they will be in roughly 1 quart vases. I need to know how to start; everything we have: the vases, rocks, the fishes, food and a water treater. At the moment I would love the very basic to get them through till we can get them upgraded to better things.
AHoneycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 
MistersMom

You'll need a heater for each tank, you'll need larger living spaces, atleast 2 gallons, you'll need to make sure they have clean water and do one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week, keep an eye on them for illnesses, anything else inparticular ?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #3 
BettaGurl79

Get these upgrades asap.

at least a 2 gallon tank per fish. A more economical route would be a 10 gallon starter tank set. You can find these at petsmart or petco. You can then buy a 10 gallon tank divider and the fish can share one tank.

Heater. Betta's are tropical fish and need a water temperature between 71-80 degrees.

Good quality food, most people here use omega one pellets or new life spectrum pellet food. Feed your betta 1 or 2 pellets 3x per day morning noon night. Give them a fasting day each week.

Until you can get these things plan on changing their water daily to avoid giving them ammonia posioning. I would recommend letting your water sit out at room temperature for 24 hours if you are unable to float your betta to adjust him to the temperature. Water conditioner works almost immediately. Follow the instructions on the bottle for dosage.

some helpful links
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Good Luck =)

Last edited by BettaGurl79; 02-13-2013 at 09:06 PM.
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #4 
MistersMom

You don't have to fast them, that's just an option. But the rest is true, and the water pellets do need to be good quality.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

A quarter gallon vase is going to need to be cleaned every 1-2 days in order for the bettas to remain healthy. A small amount of water like this goes toxic very quickly because the fishes droppings causes a build up of ammonia in the water and ammonia is toxic to fish. Another problem is that it would be very difficult to maintain a stable water temperature in a vase so small.

Bettas are tropical fish ans like all tropical fish they require a stable water temperature to survive, fluctuations in water temperatures cause the fish extreme stress and in turn compromises their immune system putting them at risk of all sorts of horrible and often fatal diseases. The only way to provide a constant stable temperature for your fish is buy using fish tank heaters that have a thermostat.

As a bare minimum of equipment goes in order to keep your fish healthy I would have to recommend that you supply your bettas with tanks of 2.5 gallons and a heater each. Your would also need a water conditioner that removes chlorine, ammonia and heavy metals. Any good quality floating betta pellet will suit your fish, I use Hikari betta bio-gold pellets which they seem to like.

Good luck with your new bettas and if you need any more advice don't hesitate to ask we are always happy to help. By the way we would love to see some photos of your bettas.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 
Summerwind

There are a lot of others on here with a lot more information but I will say they need to be in a larger tank. Most people recommend 5 gal. minimum each. Personally, mine are in a 2 1/2 gal with heater and filter and of course a thermometer. My heater is a submersible type that I can control the temperature, not one of those generic heaters you can't control. I feed them New Life Spectrum (recommended by a member) and not those huge tetra pellets. They love the NLS and it's available at Petco not Petsmart. You will get a lot more information I'm sure about checking your water, doing water changes, etc. from the experts on here. Good luck with the new additions.
Summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #7 
AHoneycutt

Thank y'all so much. I am hoping I can keep them happy and alive till we get our tax money in and then get them each a new home together and decorated.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #8 
AHoneycutt

What heater would be recommended. I am looking at them and completely lost on them, lol.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #9 
AHoneycutt

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Would this kit, plus the divider be good for them? And prepare for many more questions, lol. These are my first fish I have owned as an adult. As a kid it was the cheap 38 cent goldfish, lol
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #10 
Kwomais

Yup, that would be a great kit to start with. You'll also want some decorations like live or silk plants to put near the divider so that they can't see each other through it. I recommend live because they're cheaper in the long run and I prefer the look. Check out your local classifieds, such as craigslist, for plants if you want. Often times you can get someone else's clippings for very cheap.

Which water conditioner are you using? I would recommend Sechem Prime in the long run because it's like $11 for a bottle and you will get more than 100 water changes out of that bottle if you get that kit. Very reasonable when you compare it to the betta-specific water conditioner that uses 5ml/gal or 1/2 gal.
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote