Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 
MooseKnocker

Water changing with pumps.

I'm trying to find if anyone has made anything like this.

When I do my water changes I suck all the water out with a hose, using gravity it pulls it form the tank and puts it in the bucket I us.

My question is does anyone know a way I can make a pump or get it to do the opposite when I want to put my new water in the thank? I hate having to dump all the water in my tank disrupting my fish and the plant life inside.
MooseKnocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Put the new clean water into a bucket and then vacuum it out of the bucket into the tank.... Basically the exact opposite of vacuuming it from the tank into the bucket.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #3 
MooseKnocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Put the new clean water into a bucket and then vacuum it out of the bucket into the tank.... Basically the exact opposite of vacuuming it from the tank into the bucket.
Yeah but it wont go from the floor up to my tank. Thats why I'm asking if anyone knows of a pump or a way I can set it up.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 
tekkguy

You could put a small submersible pump or power head in the bucket and attach a hose to it. Make sure it's adjustable and baffle the output. Might be a good candidate:

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-NP-80-...&keywords=Pump
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #5 
MooseKnocker

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Battery...+transfer+pump

This was just left on another forum post about the same thing.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #6 
aemaki09

you could also set your bucket on the top corner of the tank and do it that way. Thats how I do it in my fry tanks to disturb as little as possible.
Also you could get one of those hoses that connects straight to your sick to pump it back in. They are pricey, but definitely an investment I'm planning on doing one day soon.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Have you tried using a hose. That's how i do it.
I take all the water out with a hose and then use my garden hose to fill it up. You can even buy a connector to put the hose in the faucet.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
MooseKnocker

I use a hose to take out the old water that I am changing and put it in a 5 gallon bucket on the floor. I empty it then fill it back up put all the chemical to make it safe for my fish then have to dump it all back in the tank. I don't like lifting the 5 gallons of water and dumping it into the tank. All the water going in as fast as it is disrupting my fish and pushing all my plants around. My issue is I want a pump or a hose that I can use to put it back in my tank that wont bumbrush my fish with all that water at once. The Link I posted is probably my only real available thing I can do.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #9 
sarahspins

For a while I used the smallest/cheapest pond pump I could buy at home depot and it worked fine... it was about $20 and I think the flow on it was about 220gph... which sounds like a lot, but that's when it's running level - the flow was really gentle after making it up 4+ feet to get into my tank. It probably took 10-15 minutes to pump that 5 gallons of water. You'll need some tubing that fits whatever pump you get but that's easy to find and fairly cheap ($5-6 range).

Pay attention to the max head height on those smaller pumps - typically they are used for water features, not pumping water up from a bucket into a tank. You need to measure the distance from where the pump will be (bottom of a bucket?) to the rim of your tank. A pump can can only lift water 23" just can't get the job done.

I eventually invested in a water changer that hooks up to my sink so I use that to replace water in my tanks unless they are too far away (one 10g is) or need something special (like my shrimp - they get remineralized RO water).
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #10 
MooseKnocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I eventually invested in a water changer that hooks up to my sink so I use that to replace water in my tanks unless they are too far away (one 10g is) or need something special (like my shrimp - they get remineralized RO water).
How do you get that to work with your chemicals to make it safe for the fish?