Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #11 
funkman262

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
That's what co2 will do!
CO2 is [nearly] useless without proper lights and ferts, but you're on the right track
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #12 
Agility4fun

Thank you for your post. It reads like a documentary, loved it. Can you keep us updated with your progress?
Posted via Mobile Device
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #13 
funkman262

Day 59
Name:  IMG_0480.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  48.5 KB

You can see there isn't a whole lot of difference since the previous picture (which was actually day 47, not 37 so if a mod sees this and wouldn't mind changing that, I'd be very appreciative ). You can see that amazon sword has nearly reached the surface now, and I've had to trim the stem plants several times. I was having issues with my hygo; the lower leaves were rapidly dropping off (pretty noticeably in the pic). I couldn't see there being any nutrient deficiency in my tank so I assumed that there wasn't enough CO2. I removed the biomedia from my canister filter and placed it in a bucket of tank water in case if my plan didn't work: I moved my glass diffuser to below the filter intake so that the CO2 would get sucked up and be much more efficiently dissolved into the water (this would likely kill the bacteria which is why I removed it). That would also allow me to increase the bubble-rate. I haven't seen any hygro leaves drop off since. I tested the water for ammonia twice a day for several days to make sure there wasn't a spike after removing the biomedia, but the plants are clearly rapidly removing the ammonia because I never saw any ammonia spike. I went ahead and left the biomedia out of the filter since it was no longer necessary. I've also been having some trouble with a white film on the surface of my tank which is common for planted tanks with no surface movement. I've just been skimming it out every few days to get rid of it.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #14 
aemaki09

Wow. Your swords are growing fast! I haven't noticed much growth in mine since I bought them a few months ago. I cannot wait to be able to change lighting out and add co2 and soil for substrate
Posted via Mobile Device
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #15 
funkman262

I've continued getting great growth in my plants and I'm having to trim the background plants every few days because they keep reaching the surface. But... I've been running my lights on an extended schedule and lately the tank's been receiving a lot of sunlight because our windows have been completely open and now I'm dealing with green water The same thing happened to my last setup a little over a month in and I bought a UV sterilizer to take care of it. I went ahead and dug that out of storage and have it running in the tank now so it should clear up soon. I've also gone back to my normal lighting schedule of 4 on, 2 off, 4 on. I'll post an updated pic once it clears up.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #16 
funkman262

The tank has already cleared up. It probably didn't take very long because I caught it early. I don't expect it to happen again with my current lighting schedule. I need to do some trimming tomorrow if I get a chance after work.

Day 66:
Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow! Your tank looks beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote