Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #11 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Ammonia will kill a fish, not help it. It builds up from fish waste in the water. You need to change water quite frequently to keep this from happening.
Do you test you water for the following:
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Has your tank been through the Nitrogen Cycle?
Cycling Your Aquarium, Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle: Start Cycling Aquarium Guide

And you might seriously think about getting a larger tank, .5 is a glass of water.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #12 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
Well, my guess (unless you just got him) is he has fin rot from being in that tiny tank with dirty water D:

You should really upgrade to a 2.5gal or something. :S
The OP is looking for help with her current situation. No need to be snarky - let's help them through the issue and then give recommendations on how to better care for her fish. Respectfully!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #13 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
You will kill your fish in that tiny tank if you don't know and don't care what ammonia will do to him.

Good luck with the fin rot.

Same response to White Mage goes for your comment

The OP is looking for help with her current situation. No need to be snarky - let's help them through the issue and then give recommendations on how to better care for her fish. Respectfully!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #14 
acitydweller

how can you say the water is clean if you dont know what ammonia levels are? test for nitrates as well.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #15 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Is it possible for you to get him a larger tank or container while your treating him (and ultimately for a permanent home)? A 3 gallon critter keeper doesn't cost much money- i think I paid $7 US for them and you can put a 25w heater in there with no problem.

I wouldn't want to guess how much salt to put in what you have now but I would put maybe a little pinch in there. Make sure it's dissolved first in clean water before you add it. Salt doesn't dissipate out of the water so you want to be removing the same amount of water as you're putting in there with each water change if you add any salt.

You should be doing daily water changes and add a good water conditioner to your new water. Keeping him at the right temp. is important too.

Good luck and I hope you win the fin rot battle.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #16 
acitydweller

Prime is a good alternative if you needed to remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia/ammonium.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #17 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Another thing to note is that the LFS or Local Fish Store wants to sell us stuff... so those little tanks they sell are not necessarily what is best for our fish. And while those tiny tanks are widely used by people, and many people get upset that they are too small.... NO tank is good without clean fresh water... that means water changes almost every day, and scrubbing out clean the tank as well. Bettas do breathe air from the surface but water that is not changed goes stagnant and what builds up will burn his fins.
Now even if you can get him a 1g or 2g, 3g or 5g you need to do water changes...
Only when you get into the 2.5/5/10 gallon kits with light and filter will you have the option to cycle the tank over 6-8 weeks to produce the good bacteria. Lots of live plants will use up the harmful Ammonia as well and eliminate the 6-8 week time span.
(water changes are needed no matter what size tank, but the bigger tanks end up being a lot less work as they are more stable.)
SeaHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have all mine in critter keepers and have no problem heating them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #19 
popcorndeer

i dont care about ammonia because i never heard about it all iam asking is how much do i put in
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #20 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Read the Post I made above........ About the Nitrogen Cycle.........
Then test, test test test test test.
You've gotta be willing to do some work here on your own.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote