Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #1 
TaylerHill

would 4 bettas in a divided 10 gallon be ok?

I may be aquiring yet another betta from a friend who can't take care of him. If I do I will have 4. When I move into my own house this summer I want to set up a 10gal tank with dividers. They would each have 2.5 gallons, which is more than they have now. Right now they are in 1.5 gallons. Would that many in a tank that size be ok?
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
MistersMom

It's kind of pushng it. but ive seen people do it....
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #3 
TaylerHill

How often would I need to do water changes with that setup?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 
tekkguy

The shape of the compartments is what I'm not a fan of. A 10 gallon tank is 20 inches long, so each compartment would have less than 5 inches, when accounting for dividers. You'll get almost a full 7 inches apiece if you only split it into three.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #5 
TaylerHill

Oh true I didn't realize that! I would have noticed once I got the tank out but it's in storage. Hmm ok I will have to figure something else out then
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #6 
MistersMom

starter kits at walmart are onyl like 30 $ or you could get 2 5 gallons for 20$ each and divid them in half?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #7 
TaylerHill

I may do two of the 5 gallons. I'm still undecided about this fourth fish. My friend has him in a tiny bowl and says hes not active so I told her what to do to keep him happy and she'd rather just give him away than go buy new things for him. I feel bad for him and would like to take him in I just don't want to overrun my aunts house with tanks! Granted they will all be in my room so they don't have to see them if they dont want to...such a decision lol
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Ehh I split my 10's into 4 compartments with no problems. it seems like there is more space in them than there is in my 2.5 mini bows for my boys.

Mine are filtered by sponge filters and pretty decently planted, and I only have to do a change 1x/week

aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #9 
MistersMom

There you go! it can be done! with live plants and weekly water changes.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #10 
Popoli

I personally wouldn't recommend splitting a ten gallon between four fish. If you do decide to do it, make sure you get colored mesh instead of a clear divider. If you have particularly aggressive male bettas, they can really stress themselves out if they can see the others on the opposite side of the mesh. I had that problem between my two boys and ended up doubling up on some black crafting mesh just to calm them down. Also, you'll have to make sure the water is filtering throughout the whole tank unless you want to buy multiple filters.
Popoli is offline   Reply With Quote