betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Does it look fungus-like?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 
acitydweller

does that look like a bulge underneat 3-4 scales towards the rear fin?
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #13 
Bettatrainer

MattsBettas- it is smooth and very thin when viewed from above or when Mishu swims at just the right angle. It does not look like cotton or anything. I am really beginning to think it is a scale that he knocked loose. I have all silk plants in my aquarium, along with a red Japanese bridge and a faux stone pagoda. He swims through the pagoda all the time. And likes to move the corys out of it sometimes. So I am wondering if he decided to move the corys out and in doing so bumped his side.

Acitydweller- I think is was the angle I took the picture. I have removed Mushu from the ten gallon and into a 2 qt to get a better picture. At first I thought that there was a bump underneath too. So I brought out a magnifying glass and really looked at him from all sides and there is no bulge that I could see. However I will obviously be keeping an observant eye on him the next few days.

Thank you both very much. I will update with any new information that I observe.
Bettatrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #14 
Bettatrainer

Ok so here is what I can see..I pulled out a high power LED flashlight and really went over all of Mushu. I can't see that sliver/white spot anymore. There is no bulge near the tail, there is a small dark spot where it looks like a scale did fall out. It is not red or white or look like it is infected or in anyway even irritated. Just instead of having a solid blue patch of scales there now there is one very small spot in the center where that silver/white spot was that is the dark grey/black that is found on his head. Any ideas? Could it be a new scale? He does have one or two other places where there is a dark grey/black scale among the blue scales. Thank you all again!
Bettatrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #15 
callistra

You need to be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change anytime you see either show up. In addition to this a 50% change with siphon is needed. Cycling will take up to 2 months. You will see an ammonia spike first, then nitrite. Ammonia should fall and stay at 0 first, then nitrite, leaving you with only nitrates after a full week. At this point a weekly 25% with siphon should be enough.

Make sure the heater is next to the filter so the heat circulates and you don't end up with hot/cold spots.

How are you monitoring temps?

Since he is new, how did you acclimate him to the new water?

What conditioner are you using?

Can you share new photos?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote