Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 
HeroicPoison

Sick betta or old?

I got my copper super delta betta this summer from a petstore... hes my favorite fish... but a few weeks ago he started turning red from his body out to his fins, his fins have no holes and are not falling apart. His attitude has not changed. Upon closer examination i noticed that he had also lost a scale near his head and his left eye seems to be getting cloudy. I asked a friend who has knowledge about these things and she wasnt too sure if it was finrot of if he was just getting old, she told me to QT him for a week w 50-75% water changes daily and to add stresscoat+ and aquarium salt to his water. The week has past and his scale has grown back but he is still red. I am hoping hes not old because i really adore this little guy. If anyone has any ideas of knows for sure what is going on id love to know so i can either help him of emotionally prepare for the worst. Thanks
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

clear pictures will help everyone here to diagnose what's wrong with your fella, and answer these questions to the best of your ability. I hope he gets better soon!

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

(P.S. is it a bright red like coloration? You could possibly have a marble who is changing color)

Last edited by Skyewillow; 02-27-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #3 
Syriiven

Posting so I can stalk this. My thought are that if his eye got cloudy after being in aq qt, then it's internal. But someone on here may know what the cloudy eye means. If it's no bulging, it's not popeye. But the possibility of bad genes kicking in after maturity is possible. It could be genetic.

Have you noticed if he has trouble seeing his food?
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 
HeroicPoison

having a few problems w the pic thing ill work on it
Housing
What size is your tank? When his symptoms started he was in a 3 gallon tank he was moved a few months ago from a 20g tank w heater and filtration when he got sick (details listed further down)
What temperature is your tank? It stays at 82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Currently he is eating tetra bettamin (I know its not the best food for him its all I can access atm)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two small meals a day 5 days a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week usually in QT once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just what my friend told me to add recently the stresscoat+ and aquarium salt for the past week

Water Parameters:
it says the water is slightly hard everything else is with in regulation

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Turning a rusty red starting from his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasnt
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, w the aquarium salt and stresscoat in QT
Does your fish have any history of being ill? A few months ago he got a parasite, treated him w Epsom salt and he made a full recovery in a few days other than that no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in july from a pet store so im not too sure he was full grown when I brought him home
Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #5 
HeroicPoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriiven View Post
Posting so I can stalk this. My thought are that if his eye got cloudy after being in aq qt, then it's internal. But someone on here may know what the cloudy eye means. If it's no bulging, it's not popeye. But the possibility of bad genes kicking in after maturity is possible. It could be genetic.

Have you noticed if he has trouble seeing his food?
heck no he eats like a monster XD no problems hes up there right away gobbling it down
Old 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #6 
HeroicPoison

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #7 
Syriiven

I'm not THE expert on the forum, but maybe he's just aging normally. I thought kalec had popeye for weeks, but his behavior hasnt changed and he hasn't gotten any scik - he just...I dont know, changed a bit around the eyes. Otherwise he's healthy. So maybe your guy is just fine, just encountering some blind-gene no one would've known he'd had.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

He looks fine to me. A lot of bettas actually go through color changes as they age. One of my males went from turquoise to having a deep blue splash up his sides, and his pectorals are turning blue now.

As far as his eye is concerned, it really could be some adverse genetics kicking in. We just had to put a girl down with a large tumor.

Most males in petstores are a bit older, because it takes time for the fins to grow in enough to really sell them, so this could be part of his individual aging process.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #9 
HeroicPoison

do i still treat him or just let him swim happily in the big tank?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

I'd just treat for a little while longer to be sure his eye isn't infected, but as far as the color, I wouldn't worry too much