Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #1 
Lyshymo

Fins turning pale? (Help)

So I have my Elephant Ear betta and the very edges of his fins are "fading". As in, he has white fins but the very tips are kind of clear. (I can try and get pictures tomorrow)

His water is clean and has been. He's eating well and is active still. The water in his tank is 80 degrees and all levels are in the "okay-zones", so m not sure what's causing this. He still has minor rips (haven't gotten worse) in his fins, but the only seeming cause would be from him just being an overly active EE male.

Is this something I should worry about or no?

I tried finding results on the Internet but all I could find is, "If the body color fades, your fish is dying." -.-

Any advice is grateful.
Thanks in advance!
Lyshymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #2 
Lyshymo

Update: His fins are still "transparent". They don't seem to be falling off or getting any shorter, however I think it may be fin rot. I had him in a 1.5 gallon tank (before he was moved to his 10 gallon yesterday) and I did water changes every 3-4 days (meaning twice per week), but I guess that wasn't enough and I should have done water changes every 2-3 days instead.

I have plans on putting Ozwald back into the small tank and doing an aquarium salt (and a 2-3 day, perhaps more cleaning) treatment for 7-10 days.

Does anyone have input on the treatment? Perhaps it isn't fin rot and I should be doing something else or is what I'm [planning on] doing good?

Any input/advice is appreciated!
Thank you in advance!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 
Luimeril

if it was fin rot, they'd be slowly getting shorter. can you get a picture of it? it honestly sounds normal, imo. if his fins were turning red or black, that'd be something to worry about.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 
Lyshymo

Give me a few minutes and I'll upload a few snapshots.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #5 
Lyshymo

Before and After Photos.

Note: Sorry if they're awkward photos. Ozwald is quite active and I'm still attempting to learn shutter speeds and lighting for my "photography".

Before:

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  44.7 KB

After:

Name:  Fins.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  Fins2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  Fins3.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  40.3 KB

And I'm sorry if he doesn't have fin rot or anything--I'm rather paranoid due to a previous death to Columnaris so I've been taking my care a lot more seriously than I had in previous years :S
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #6 
Lyshymo

And last one that might do a decent job at showing his fins a bit.
Name:  Fins.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  57.1 KB
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #7 
Luimeril

looks more like a tiny bit of new growth to me. he may be young and still growing his fins. he's got some HUGE pectoral fins! O_O

i totally understand being worried to death about them. :3 i've got a new gal i'm way worried about right now.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #8 
Pogthefish

Looks fine to me.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #9 
White Mage

Omg, he's so cute! He looks ok to me. Ozwald is the perfect name for him btw. :D
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #10 
Lyshymo

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for giving input. It really helped calm my nerves about it, so trust me, I really appreciate it!

Secondly, Luimeril I hope everything is alright with your girl!

And thirdly, White Mage, thank you! I also thought Ozwald was a rather adorable name ^-^