Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #1 
LoriKeet

Here we go again...(Water Chemistry Help)

Context Once, not too long ago, I posted about my betta, Luna, acting adversely to treated water I purchased at Petco. He acted skittish and freaked out, like someone had snuck up behind him and scared the mess out of'em. All signs pointed to shock. On advice, I started using my own tap water and slowly introduced it to the tank. Luna seemed pretty at ease with the transition, so I switched him entirely to my tap water conditioned with Prime with seemingly no problems.

Last Night Luna was upgraded to a five gallon using treated tap water. I was mis-informed about cycling, and know now I shouldn't have added Luna to the mix so soon. Still, Luna didn't act shocked -- just curious. He swam all over his new tank, and even hopped into the baffle as I was attaching it (silly thing) amongst his curious adventures.

I've conditioned him over the past month to come to my finger to be fed -- he always comes, last night was no exception.

This Morning:
Skittish again. Won't come to my finger, even though he knows it means food. I don't have a test kit, was going to wait 11 days for next pay check. Thinking awfully hard about getting a test kit anyway. My room mate is going to take the water to be tested the chemical method (with the little vials) at the mom & pop pet store down the street while I'm at work, but I already know from those cheapy test strips that I have hard water, about a 6.5 PH range, and the slightest hint of Nitrates (10-20) with no Nitrites.

Question: In addition to the test kit, what do I need to be purchasing? Anything that will help Luna feel more like himself? Is he still getting used to the water, or is he in danger so quickly? He seems happy over all, not as freaked out as he was with the Petco water change, but definitely acting a miss.

Any advice appreciated.

New Tank Specs:
Here's the specs for the new tank:
Fish Tank Profile - Click Here
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #2 
LoriKeet

Update: Finally swam up to my finger; ate two life spectrum pellets.

I think, perhaps, he's freaking out because I just turned the light on for pretty much the first time. He didn't use to have a light, and went from bedroom darkness to, "LET THERE BE 10 WATT!" Not sure if fish get skittish about the lighting difference, but he seems a let better all of a sudden -- not skittish and pretty much back to his purposeful movements around his new tank -- as per usual.

Still going to get his water tested, still going to see about getting a liquid test kit today.

Last edited by LoriKeet; 02-15-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Glad he seems to be better. I'd say he's still adjusting to a new tank. Definitely get the liquid test kit since you are now doing a fish IN cycle. Do you have a syphon gravel vac & a couple of buckets. One for new treated water & one for used tank water. Works like a charm for me. Your Ph is on the edge of too low so keep a close eye on it because too low (low 6's) can make cycling a tank very difficult.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #4 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Glad he seems to be better. I'd say he's still adjusting to a new tank. Definitely get the liquid test kit since you are now doing a fish IN cycle. Do you have a syphon gravel vac & a couple of buckets. One for new treated water & one for used tank water. Works like a charm for me. Your Ph is on the edge of too low so keep a close eye on it because too low (low 6's) can make cycling a tank very difficult.
Thank you for the feedback. :)

Yes, I do have a syphon gravel vac & a couple of buckets that ought to do the trick.

What should I do if my PH is too low? Is there a chemical supplement that I need to treat the water with?
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #5 
acitydweller

You can add some crushed coral to help raise the ph slightly but use sparingly as the effectiveness of each stone and varying size of stones will make it difficult to gauge per application. It also serves to raise the gh, kh and overall tds slightly so be aware.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemistry, issue, nitrite, skittish, water