Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 
flyingpony22

What's wrong with my rescue??

I recently purchased this betta from the pet store because I felt terrible for him and thought I could help him get better. He can't swim well at all. He's lower half hangs like he's dragging it and he mostly sits at the bottom of the tank. I put him in a goldfish bowel and lowered the water so that it's just high enough to cover the heater because he has a terrible time swimming to the surface to get air.

I do a 100% water change every day and add prime and stress coat to the water. He's been doing a little bit better over the past few days and is more eager to swim to the surface, but I still have no clue what's wrong with him or how to help. I feed him two pellets of omega one a day and he'll come to the surface for them and practically eat it out of my hand if I let him. I've also given him frozen blood worms as a treat and he happily ate them. He gets excited when he sees me come into the room and tries to swim around a little.

He seems so weak so I'd like to treat him conservatively at first. I'm not sure if he could handle any sort of strong medication. I'd appreciate any help or advice. I really hope I can help get him better.
Attached Images

flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #2 
FishFriend9292

How much fin does he have? Does he have fin rot? I would put some aquarium salt in their. Just little though since there is not a lot of water.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 
flyingpony22

I'm not sure what he looked like before he was sick, but it is possible. He's a crowntail and has prob half the amount of fin he should. I'll try the aq salt. What do you think is causing his swimming issues? That's what I'm most concerned about. Do you think it could be an internal parasite? Or just the product of previously living in a poor environment?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #4 
Luimeril

sounds like a swim bladder issue. x: try PMing the Mod, Sakura, and asking her advice. she's a lot better with medications than i am. but, his back half dragging, unable to swim, screams "SWIM BLADDER ISSUE!" at me.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #5 
sainthogan

+1 it definitely sounds like a swim bladder disorder. Epsom salts are usually used to treat sbd. oldfishlady or sakura8 can help you more with this.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #6 
flyingpony22

Thanks! Ill contact them later today. I always pictured sbd as being something different so the possibility never occurred to me. I hope that's all it is.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #7 
Myates

No AQ salt.. could make it worse.

Can try Epsom salt, but at this stage there is little chance he will recover.. but worth a shot.

2 teaspoons of Epsom Salt per gallon (make sure to dissolve it before adding it), daily 100% water changes adding in new Epsom (+ conditioner) each time.. normally would take roughly 8 days to reverse.. but if by the 2 week mark nothing has changed then highly doubtful he will become better.. keep the water level only a few inches to allow him to get to the surface easier.

SBD usually looks different than this, but he does have something wrong (most likely) with his swim bladder..

Would also up his food intake to at least 3-4 pellets 2x a day - 2 a day is very very little.. more nutrition will help give him more energy/strength.

Last edited by Myates; 02-06-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #8 
flyingpony22

Aw. That's disappointing. It's not likely to be reversed as in he doesn't have more longer to live? Or that he just will be like this for the rest of his life? I have Epsom salt at home. When I get out of work ill make sure to do that.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #9 
Krys

That's almost how my Toga is with the dragging. I'm not sure it's swim bladder related or what. Hopefully you can find something to help!
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #10 
callistra

Epsoms salts need to be pure and have no perfumes or other additives, and a lot do so be careful.. How's he doing? Can you get some better full finned photos?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote