Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #1 
tilli94

Ick?

Hi guys I have three baby bettas and until now they all have Been amazingly healthy. However now my middle sized baby is rubbing over decor, filter, and heater but as soon as he touches it he jerks away and does it again. He doesn't have white spots anywhere, he's eating fine, and he chases his "friends" in the tank (not mean, just playing) anyone with advice please let me know. Thanks all.
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #2 
shellieca

More info is needed to better advise. From what you're describing its possible he has an external parasite, not necessarily Ich. What size tank? Heated & filtered? If heated what is the temp? How long has the tank been set running? What are his tank mates? How long have you had him? What do you feed? How often & how much are your water changes? Have you checked your water parameters, if so what are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrates & Ph?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 
tilli94

Ok the Tank Is a 36 gallon bow front. Heated and filtered. Temp is 76. Tanks been running for 3 months. He has two other baby bettas in there, one female betta and another in a breeder net thingy as her tank broke, and a couple of snails. Had him about a month. Right now I only have wardley shrimp pellets. 25% water changes 1 time a week. Unable to test the water.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #4 
shellieca

Hmmm, first I'd get the water tested with a liquid water test kit to rule out water quality. I'm from the school of a 50% water change weekly but on this site I know most say 25% weekly is OK. Since you've only had him a month it is possible he came in with something. Did all of the Bettas come from the same place at the same time? Are any of the snails new or newer than him? Are you planning on keeping in the tank with the other female? You do know that will most likely become a problem? Have you looked at with a flashlight to see if he may have velvet? Have you checked the girls to make sure they don't have any spots of any kind? I know tons of question, trying to figure out how to advise the best.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 
tilli94

Well the only problem with testing is the nearest pet store is over the mountain and my mom just crashed our car so no luck there. The only reason I don't do 50 is my one female always tries to nibble on anything in her tank such as hoses, buckets, or hands lol. The babies all came from a petco the females from a Walmart ( had the females longer) the snails I got before the babies after the females. no eventually this tank will be a sorority and the babies (depending on gender will either stay in there or go in the divided 10 gallons I'm setting up this weekend. Checked with a flashlight, no spots or velvet on anyone. I keep trying to think of what could be causing it and the best explanation I could find was ick but no other signs.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #6 
shellieca

Well unless the ich is just begining you'd see what looked like salt/sugar sprinkled on him & most likely it'd be on the others as well. Does there seem to be any pattern to him doing the flashing? How often is it happening?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Do not share any equipment with any other fish if you have another tank. If you have ich in the tank then whole tank contaminated and you need to treat whole tank. Are you able to raise the temperature gradually up to 84*? Temp over 86* and the ich is said to stop reproducing and some even say it will kill the ich. If you can do it gradually about 2* in an hour?
Even that you tank is 36gall it better to do 50% water changes with regular gravel vacuuming and filter media rinse in the old water WITH a water change.
With ich you need to do daily water changes to remove them manually from the water or the ones that are feel from the fish. Do daily 50% water changes with gravel vacuum.
Rinse in the hot water everything you using for them including siphon. Rinse it and completely dry it out. It will kill parasites. No host - they will die.
Also usually with ich Aquarium salt will help but i am not sure about babies.
I would go and buy aquarium salt just in case you need to use it. Meanwhile start doing 50% water changes.
I did texed someone to look at your thread so more help is coming. But be prepared you might need to use aquarium salt.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-13-2013 at 01:24 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #8 
tilli94

I'm pretty sure this was a false alarm last night he did this for about two hours before work but I've been watching him tonight for the past couple of hours and he's acting fine, swimming around happy as can be. Is it possible he might have just been acting strange Andrew not sick? Should I treat anyway?
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #9 
callistra

Please fill this out, thank you:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also ick looks like a sprinkling of salt on the fish
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #10 
tilli94

Housing
What size is your tank? 36 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two females, two babies

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley shrimp pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: na
Nitrate: na
pH: na
Hardness: na
Alkalinity: na

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not at all
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was rubbing against decor and heater then darting away, has since stopped and has not started again
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 month? Baby betta from petco