Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #1 
ajlepore

Exclamation Sudden nitrite spike?

I've been doing a fish-in cycle since 1-20-13. Every 2-3 days I make a 40%-50% water change. Last weekend, I test my water on Saturday: 0ppm Ammonia, .50 Nitrite and 5.0 Nitrate. Sunday night I tested and it read 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite and 5.0 Nitrate. The past four days, it has read the same. This morning, I have 0ppm Ammonia and .25 Nitrite. Why would it spike again after four days of nothing?
ajlepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Cycles can do odd things. Did you do anything with your filter media? Have you added any new inhabitants? .25 isn't bad, much better than the 4 or 5 you had. Just keep an eye on things for the next few days. Make sure you did the test correctly, the correct # of drops. I've screwed it up more than once.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #3 
ajlepore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Cycles can do odd things. Did you do anything with your filter media? Have you added any new inhabitants? .25 isn't bad, much better than the 4 or 5 you had. Just keep an eye on things for the next few days. Make sure you did the test correctly, the correct # of drops. I've screwed it up more than once.
I'll retest tonight just in case but I haven't added or changed anything. I know it isn't bad, just throwing me off since I thought I was cycled and wanted to add my divider and other fish this weekend.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

When you're dealing with the small amount of nitrite appropriate to a fish-in cycle, variations in the balance of the bacteria is not uncommon. Small variations in pH and even amount of food being processed can effect your readings. Reduced feeding can help attenuate the spike.

In any case, do not be too anxious to add more stock. Ideally, you want your new cycle to season for at least a few weeks to become "established."
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 
callistra

What size is the tank? Temp? What filter are you using?

Cycling can take up to 2 months, assuming the tank is large enough to fully establish. Spikes are normal. You should be testing daily and do an extra 50% change any time you see either ammonia or nitrite show up until both stick down to 0 even after a week of no changes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #6 
ajlepore

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What size is the tank? Temp? What filter are you using?

Cycling can take up to 2 months, assuming the tank is large enough to fully establish. Spikes are normal. You should be testing daily and do an extra 50% change any time you see either ammonia or nitrite show up until both stick down to 0 even after a week of no changes.
The tank is 10g. Temperature, since I have an older heater fluctuates at times between 77-80 degrees. The filter I have is a Whisper filter made for 10g aquariums. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 
callistra

The temp fluctuations are a problem for your fish. You should replace the heater and aim for 80 during cycling. You can choose to leave it there or drop it a degree or two after.

Also make sure your heater is near your filter so that it can circulate the heat.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 
ajlepore

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
The temp fluctuations are a problem for your fish. You should replace the heater and aim for 80 during cycling. You can choose to leave it there or drop it a degree or two after.

Also make sure your heater is near your filter so that it can circulate the heat.
I do have a newer heater but I am treating my other betta for fin rot in a 2.5g so it's important to me to keep his water clean, warm and as pristine as possible. Once he has healed completely, I plan to use the new heater in my 10g. My heaters are always situated next to my filters. Thanks for the input and advice, it definitely is very much appreciated!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

By the way, at the bottom of this page is a list of "similar threads." If you were to get started and follow similar "similar" threads, you'd see that nitrite spikes are one of the more common frustrations. There are cases in there that will make your hair curl.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote