Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #1 
DizzyD

Best bang for your buck Aquarium

Lets face it, over the past 2 months, I've become pretty addicted to aquariums. My Dad maintains several Aquariums including his prized 110 gallon Discuss tank, so I have had the pleasure of being around tanks pretty much my whole life, but I never got the enjoyment of setting them up and aquascaping them myself. A few months after moving out of my parents house I got a betta and a 1 gallon tank to keep me company. Soon after that, I decided that a 1 gallon was to small and bought a 5 gallon and some plants. Now I've come to the conclusion that the 5 gallon it so small. Does it ever end?

Anyway, I want to plan this one out this time. The last 2 times were a heat of the moment kinda thing after visiting the pet store and I'm not usually that kinda person. I like to research and plan before I purchase. Thats half the fun.

I've been looking at several tanks in the 20 - 40 gallon range and want to know what most of you would consider the best sized tank for the money? I'm not just talking price either. I'm talking enjoyment too. I want something that is going to be enjoyable to work on and have enough space for a nice community. I've been leaning towards the 20 gallon longs because I like the size of them. They aren't too tall to where I have to bend over into the tank to get to the bottom and they have plenty of horizontal space for the fish too roam. They are also reasonably priced. My biggest concern with it is, will I just want a bigger one in a few months? Should I save a little more money and go with a larger thank?

I plan on making this a community tank and eventually a NPT.

Sooo what would be your tank recommendation and why?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #2 
Hail0788

I'm planing on getting a 20 gallon. I want to have a betta sorority tank. It will be big enough tank for the girls and plants. If you want more then 6 fish with a lot of plants I would go for more then a 20 gallon. Petsmart is having a sale right now on their tanks and plants. I'm going there today to get my stuff.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well, I would go with the 40. Bigger is always better when it comes to fish tanks, and you can do a lot in a 40. There will be less matinence required, and it should satisfy your need for a big fish tank haha!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #4 
sarahspins

Bigger is better... I have a 55 and I'm already scheming to figure out how to replace it with a 75 or 90 or even possibly a 120 :) My desire to move up has more to do with how difficult it is to plant and scape a tank that is only 12" deep from front to back.. I really hadn't considered that, because when I got my 55 it seemed SO huge (I'd never had anything bigger than a 10 before), but now it feels like I'm always wishing I had more room to work with.

I think you'd be MUCH happier with a 40 than a 20. If you wait for Petco's next gallon sale you can pick one up for really cheap :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 
DizzyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
Bigger is better... I have a 55 and I'm already scheming to figure out how to replace it with a 75 or 90 or even possibly a 120 :) My desire to move up has more to do with how difficult it is to plant and scape a tank that is only 12" deep from front to back.. I really hadn't considered that, because when I got my 55 it seemed SO huge (I'd never had anything bigger than a 10 before), but now it feels like I'm always wishing I had more room to work with.

I think you'd be MUCH happier with a 40 than a 20. If you wait for Petco's next gallon sale you can pick one up for really cheap :)
Yeah, Unfortunately with my living arrangement, I don't think I can do much bigger than a 40 right now, or I would just plan to go all out with a 110 like my fathers. This sale you speak of, what is it? I have a friend that works at a pet club in Northern Virginia and last time I was there, they were having a $1 per gallon sale on a lot of there tanks. I think it was with the purchase of a few fish but, its still a pretty good deal I think. Is the petsmart deal similar to that?
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
waterdog

It never ends. My 75 with a 35 sump is now giving way to thoughts of a 150.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #7 
sarahspins

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
It never ends. My 75 with a 35 sump is now giving way to thoughts of a 150.
To be honest if I had 6' of wall space anywhere in my house to put in a tank, I'd be considering it as well.

I have a vision that one day when the kids are all grown up and out of the house one of their rooms will house a very large tank :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #8 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
To be honest if I had 6' of wall space anywhere in my house to put in a tank, I'd be considering it as well.

I have a vision that one day when the kids are all grown up and out of the house one of their rooms will house a very large tank :)
I thought about that. However my wife doesn't share my vision. Lol
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote