Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #1 
limitless

Unhappy Frantic swimming and Finicky Fins

Hello everyone!

I have been having issues with my new betta for the last month and a half, (I have had him for 2 months lol) and finally need to ask for help. At first he was doing great and I had him in a aerated filtered 1.5L tank that was meant for betta or guppies, and he seemed to love it. I did not notice anything wrong with him when I first got him for x-mas. One day I looked over and his fins were stringy, which was very out of the normal and I knew then that something was wrong. I kept hearing mix opinion on how often to change tank water so I was doing a 75% water change every week and a 100% 2 of those weeks. I did not use soap, but i did take a wet paper towel and rub the sides of the tank which seemed to have gathered a thing lining of slime (or at least that's what I call it). I found out by talking to 3 pet store workers and looking online that this was tail rot. I also was keeping his tank between 70-78 degrees. So I treated it with Bettafix form the pet store like they told me for 1 week with no improvement. Then I read online not to use it and to use the aquarium salt to the correct diluted proportions. So I stopped bettafix and started the aquarium salt with 100% daily tank changes. The edges of his fins were still dark but they seemed to stop progressing. I decided maybe it was the tank, so I went to the petstore and bought him a 2.5 gallon filtered tank with a small heater I can turn on and off. His tank now sits at a comfortable 80 degrees for the most part. All the plants I got are silky plants (instructed by a petco worker who has a betta) and there is nothing with corners in his tank. The next step was tp help the fins regrow, so they told me to buy Melafix, and use that for a week. It says 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons, so to play it safe I only did 1 drop for his 2.5 gallons. It says after 7 days do a 25% water change which I am about to do. The problem is the fins seems to be staying the same now, not regrowing, and this morning I woke up to see a chunk of his back fin missing (or it sure looks like it). I have pictures I will try to post

p.s He also had swim bladder that was difficult to treat, had to fast him and feed him some pea, and finally one day he seemed to have gotten rid of it.

The very last image is a picture of him when I first got him. then the 4 picture green framed one is the first week I got him, below that is his first signs of tail rot and the one below that is today's picture.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78-82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Uhhh I don't think so
Is your tank heated? Yes when it needs to be
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? I tried an ivory snail and he thought his antenna was food, so currently none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta food by Aqueon (and occasionally some betta flakes) He hates the blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the a.m. and 3 in the p.m

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use drinking water bought in the gallon size as recommended by the petstore we got him at, so no additives are needed. I used to dechlorinate tap water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I was told it wasn't necessary, so no I haven't.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?missing part of tail fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? spazzing out, ongoing tail rot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a month and a half ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? mentioned above in detail
Does your fish have any history of being ill? So far yes lol
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea got him at the pet store, 2 months with me.
Attached Images

limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 
limitless

I have a feeling I need to do a 100% change of water, when I just did a 25% I noticed a film on the top of the water (kind of like when you see car oil in water) and the filter is only a few weeks old and is green!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #3 
limitless

Here is the filter

Also if you look to the right you can sorta see parts of the 'film' I was talking about on the top of the water.
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #4 
Luimeril

that's a 2.5? i thought those were half gallons?

either way, it looks like he's tail biting. x: try rearranging his decor to keep him entertained. or up the water changes a little. at least a 100% a week, and maybe a 50% mid-week.

the film is just protein film. common in water that doesn't move much. doesn't hurt them, just looks gross. 8U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 
limitless

Here is a link

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...9-001b2166c62d

That's the tank, I have 4 plants, a leaf hammock, a bridge and a pagoda in the tank :( I would really be surprised if he was bored. Good to know the film is protein and not some kind of bad bacteria. I will do a 100% change then in a few days and see if that helps.

Should I continue the Melafix treatment of 1 drop daily for 7 days?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #6 
Luimeril

x-x i'd get rid of it. anything with -fix at the end isn't great to use with bettas. it has something in it that can hurt their labyrinth organ.

all you gotta do is keep the water clean. make sure he doesn't get an infection.

bettas are odd little critters. they get bored pretty easy.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #7 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
I think it might be fin rot. has his tail been getting shorter and stuff?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #8 
Luimeril

nah. it ain't fin rot. that's tail biting. fin rot wouldn't cause the chunks to be missing. :V
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #9 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
but it has black on the edges! it was like that for me when MY fish had fin rot. and limitless's has black on the edges and the tail/fins are getting shorter (its like a time lapse, look at the pics)
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #10 
limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
nah. it ain't fin rot. that's tail biting. fin rot wouldn't cause the chunks to be missing. :V
I think he has had the black around the edges since I got him, I also noticed that some ends of his fins are bent, I'm not sure what he is doing to himself :(

Tags
betta behavior, fin issue