Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #1 
likedemapples

How does he look?

Hello all, I got this little fella on Sunday Feb 10th on a bit of a whim. The salesperson gave me some gravel and rocks and said a 2 pint jar would be fine for him. I came home and thought I would do some reading about betta's and I really wish I had done that first. I now know that a tiny container is not ideal for him. I have since purchase the Fluval Spec 5 gallon aquarium. It came with a filter and light. I have added a heater. The current from the pump seemed high so I turned it down a bit. I have some live plants and I thought I saw him get stuck on a root so I have now tucked away anything he could catch his fins on. He seems quite active in his new home. Exploring all over the place. He can swim past the filter intake with no problem but occasionally he seems to allow himself to get sucked against the intake. Like he's taking a little rest. He swims away with ease when he chooses so I'm thinking this is ok. Ive noticed a tiny bit of white at the tips of his fins and a couple black spots. Im not sure if this is the start of fin rot. Do I treat it before I'm sure? Can anyone tell what I'm referring to from the photos?
Attached Images

likedemapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #2 
callistra

It's not okay that he is sticking against the filter. You should attach a thin and porous sponge over it so he can't be injured.

He's clamped which means he is showing signs of stress. The tips do look black/brown to me. Do they also to you?

What is the temperature of the tank and what water conditioner are you using?

Make sure you only leave the lights on 8 hours during the day and always have it off at night.

Also you should read this guide on fish-in cycling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Congrats on your purchase! You have a beautiful crowntail betta. Good on you for getting him such a nice 5 gallon tank and also a heater, I am sure this will keep him happy and healthy! I took a look at your photos and I can't really see anything wrong with his fins...... if he gets fin rot his fins will begin to break away so for now just keep an eye on him, it is never a good idea to medicate a betta unless you have a more definite diagnosis........ I am pretty sure that the white and black marks are just his natural colouring but it is always a good idea to keep a close eye on these things, goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #4 
likedemapples

Thanks to Callistra and Veggiegirl both for your replies. He isnt sticking directly against the filter. Its hard to explain but the pump intake is actually on the other side and bottom of the intake he rests against sometimes.

Im not sure what you mean by clamped, Ive been trying to read and research but I havent heard that until earlier today. The tank temp is 78 and I've used API Betta water conditioner, Nutrafin Aqua Plus and Nutrafin Cycle since Ive gotten him. Not all at once of course. I also bought an ammonia detector and test strips. Everything seems within safe limits. The tips in general look white to me, there are 4 or so that look a bit dark. I leave the lights on during the day when Im at work, and the dark blue/purple LED at night but I do work shift work. So 10-12 hour days and 14 hour nights.

Hope that covered everything.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #5 
callistra

He's keeping his fins tight to his body. It's a sign of stress.

Strips are inaccurate and no amount of ammonia or nitrites are safe. You need a drops kit for all three and test daily. Cycling guide will talk more about it.

He needs no light at night.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #6 
likedemapples

Thanks very much. Light is off and I'll grab a better test kit tomorrow. Much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #7 
callistra

You're welcome! I think these changes will be enough but post back if he does not unclamp in a few days or seems to get worse in some way.