Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #1 
Lunchbox148

Buying plants tomarrow (noob)

Hello everyone! I'm going to the LFS tomorrow in hopes of replacing my silk plants with real ones. I'm very new to having plants in my aquarium I bought an "umbrella plant" from Petsmart yesterday and it seems to be doing alright... I have the mainstream sized gravel... And I bought some liquid plant food... Are there any plants you suggest? I want my 5 gallon aquarium to be very lush and full of hiding places. Do I need to implant ferts before I put the plants in, or will the liquid plant food be enough? Basicly I'm an aquarium plant noobie cryin out for help from my elders! Bless me with your experience! Thanks everyone!!!!!

Last edited by Lunchbox148; 02-15-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Java fern
anubias
and moss balls are great for newcommers of the plant world and I have had a LOT of luck with them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 
sarahspins

If you consider getting java fern and anubias, don't plant the rhizome under the substrate, just the roots, otherwise you might kill the plant. They also do really well tied to wood or rocks.

Wisteria grew REALLY well for me in my low-tech tanks.. so much so that I trimmed it back heavily and removed most of it.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #4 
Silverfang

If you buy stem plants, or crypts, look for ones with nice healthy roots.

If you get a crypt or a sword you will have initial die off of some of the leaves. It's normal.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

What type of light do you have ? Plants need a good light source to live and grow.I have Hornwort that I just allow to float. I also have Watersprite I just love and think that would be a good beginner plant for you. I have a Banana plant and I really love it such and adorable plant, it just sits on top of the gravel and it putting down roots into the gravel. I am not sure about the ferts since I havent used any. Good luck I hope you find some nice plants. You would want to QT them in some tap water for a week to kill off any bad stuff and also to check for snails as most plants do come with a few.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox148 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm going to the LFS tomorrow in hopes of replacing my silk plants with real ones. I'm very new to having plants in my aquarium I bought an "umbrella plant" from Petsmart yesterday and it seems to be doing alright... I have the mainstream sized gravel... And I bought some liquid plant food... Are there any plants you suggest? I want my 5 gallon aquarium to be very lush and full of hiding places. Do I need to implant ferts before I put the plants in, or will the liquid plant food be enough? Basicly I'm an aquarium plant noobie cryin out for help from my elders! Bless me with your experience! Thanks everyone!!!!!
ugh those "umbrella plants" are probably not aquatic. sometimes pet store give plants ridiculous names so ppl dont go like... "huh? I didnt know that you can keep peace likies under water!" which you cant...
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #7 
Catie79

If you see pennywort, nab it. It's a floating plant that is a nitrate sink and bettas love to rest in it. Hardy, easy to grow in any lighting.

Otherwise, java fern, anubias, cryptocoryne wendtii, and water wisteria are all pretty fail safe. I didn't enjoy my hornwort, it shed needles everywhere and was a mess. If you go with the crypts, you'll want to add some root tabs to your gravel since they feed from the roots. The rest will be happy with the liquid ferts.

Also, if your LFS has java moss, tie it down to some decorations or stones for an easy, lush look. Just trim as it tries to take over the tank. I tie mine to flat rocks across the front and take them out to trim when they get too tall. It gives me a pretty 'lawn'.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #8 
Aluka

for reason, i cannot keep java ferns alive =< i can keep everything else tho, just not java ferns =(
Aluka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #9 
Fishybitty

I like anacharis :)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #10 
Aurie

both of the petco's near my house are suffering from a bad outbreak of cyanobacteria (blue green algae) .. I was told by their aquarium manager that they aren't allowed to medicate and all their EM and Myacin was taken off their shelves. I'd think this might be a corporate move. How does this relate to you? Look at their plants and gravel. If it has a lot of green slime all over it, walk away. Maybe get some plants in the tube but they're spendy and they only carry about 6 different plants. Shop around. Maybe google and see if you have a fish store that deals only in fish. They're a big help and are usually cheaper. It's where I buy my plants, instead of the big box chain stores
Aurie is offline   Reply With Quote