Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 
abwise455

Exclamation Help! white fin!

I have a betta with a white frayed fin on his top fin. He was recently in a 1.5 gallon tank and I moved him to a 6 gallon tank two weeks ago. Ever since I moved him to his new tank I have been doing 25% water changes two to three times a week according to his ammonia levels in the tank. I have been using stress coat as a water conditioner and I add 2 teaspoons of aquarium salt each water change. It has been two weeks since he has been moved to his new tank and treated for fin rot (if that is what he has). Why haven't I seen any improvement in the way his fin looks??
Attached Images

abwise455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 
callistra

You're also supposed to add as much salt as water you take out so 25% of 6g is like 1.5g so every time you do a water change you are adding more salt than water you're changing steadily increasing his dosage..

6 gallon tank should get a weekly 50% change with siphon and daily testing using reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite, and subsequent extra 50% changes any time either show up in the test.

Aquarium salt can only be used up to 10 days and then only for actual infection so you need to discontinue the aquarium salt now. Do a series of 3 50% water changes using same temp (match to tank using thermometer) to get the salt out.

You haven't seen improvement because you can't heal fins while simultaneously cycling a tank.

What is the temperature of the tank and what/how much are you feeding?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #3 
abwise455

thanks for the advice I will discontinue the salt regimen. I feed him three-four pellets in the morning and the same amount at night and I use omega one pellets. I am also going to discontinue the stress coat water conditioner..I now have prime water conditioner and not sure how much I should add to his water when I change it. the water temperature is at a constant 78.5..so pretty much I won't see any improvements in his fin until his tank is cycled? also please explain the series of 50% water change. thank you!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #4 
callistra

The water changes are to get rid of the salt.

You add prime at 2 drops per gallon of new water.. to the new water.. needs to be premixed before you add it to the tank.

that's a large amount of pellets. Make sure he is pooping daily and not looking bloated. Also make sure you are giving one fast day a week.

You won't see an improvement and if it seems to be getting worse you need to stop using him to cycle your tank and treat him in QT or by increasing water changes to 50% and 100% weekly.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #5 
abwise455

the pellets are pretty small (compared to other brands) so i don't think he is over eating. I will be sure to add in a fasting day though.. quick question...how much water should I change out of his tank once his tank is cycled.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #6 
callistra

I've fed those before. They're larger for some. He may be okay with that much but he would also be okay with half that so just be careful

I would do 50% weekly with siphon.