Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #1 
chicklette

My Beta is so smart

Hi
This is my first thread. I have a female Beta fish named Jewel. I first taught her to follow a toothbrush around her tank, both inside and out. I figured this was a good way for her to get exercise. She learned this in just 2 or 3 days, if I remember correctly. After she mastered that, I taught her to swim through a hoop I made out of pipe cleaners, but after a couple days, I was worried about the metal in the pipe cleaners corroding, so I bought one of those hoops for a pet bird, put a plant weight one one end, and suspended the hoop across the top of her tank with a stick. She goes crazy when she sees me coming towards her with her hoops. When I first started to show her how to swim through the hoop, I placed the hoop between her and her toothbrush. Since she already knew to swim to her toothbrush, it was quite simple. After she swam through the hoop, I rewarded her with 1 pellet. I did this just once a day, careful not to give her too many pellets, so the training sessions took place during feeding time. Even after I was sick, and wasn't training her for close to a week, she still remembered how to swim through her hoop when we started up again. I am an animal lover, so when I am trying to get an animals attention, I blow kisses at them. Jewel is no different. After a while of sitting next to her tank, blowing kisses to her several times a day, I noticed that she was kissing me back. It is so cute, but she won't blow kisses when someone else is in the room with us. When I find out how to post a video of her doing this, I, 'll post it.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #2 
brookeandbubba

my fish is dumb and lazy XD , he wont move around he doesnt make bubble nests , he only follows me when i have food , and he sleeps on the sucktion cup that holds his (bed) leaf XD bubba is dumb lazy and cute
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #3 
Saphira101

Every fish is different, brookeandbubba. One of my Bettas will jump several inches to get a pellet from my finger, and another refuses to use his hammock. I don't think your Betta is dumb, he just has personality.

Congrats chicklette for teaching your fishy tricks!! :D
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's great! You must have a very happy fish! And I can relate to the jumping thing, my pk once jumped and bit my finger!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 
paris38

She does sound smart!Females usually have a lot of personality!:)
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #6 
Saphira101

No kidding. My only fishies that will jump are female. :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #7 
paris38

Ya I have a female that will get out off any container you float her in.She was once floating in the tank in a petsmart container with a lid and it was tightly on, and got out.I think she tipped it over and swam through the hole in the top.lol.Good luck training your betta.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #8 
Crowntails

My betta Fury would follow my finger. It was so cute! And play with my cat. My cat would come up to the tank and would light tap the tank with his paw. Fury would swim back and forth to taunt him haha.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #9 
chicklette

I used to pat Jewel, but then I remembered an episode of Mystery Diagnosis where a guy nearly lost both his arm AND his life after putting his bare hand into an aquarium with tropical fish.
I love my beta fish so much. I would love to get another one, but I don't have enough room to put another aquarium in, also, I use a wheelchair most of the time because of extreme pain. I would be devastated if one of the fish died because I was in too much pain to clean it's aquarium. Jewel is my second beta. I got her October 3, 2012. She seems to recognize when my pain is too severe because when the pain gets better, I will talk to her. She absolutely LOVES it when I talk to her.
Last week, I soaked a cork in water for 12 hours. I put it in her tank (hoping she''ll play with it). At first, she investigated it, but she doesn't seem to be interested in it. I have tried to get her interested in it by moving it around her aquarium with her toothbrush. It has been in her tank for 5 days. Maybe I should just throw the cork out. I think she likes interactive toys the most.
chicklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #10 
BlueBlazeSilverHeart

My little blaze can identify me. the other day he built me a beautiful bubble nest and wouldn't let anyone else approach his tank without flaring and "freaking" out^^
BlueBlazeSilverHeart is offline   Reply With Quote