Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 
Popoli

Heating Tips, Please

While I was doing a water change in my ten gallon yesterday, I carelessly forgot to unplug the tank's heater. Obviously, I ended up breaking the heater. I immediately jumped online a bought my boy a new one (a Marineland Visi-Therm 50 watt) but it won't be here until Tuesday. Overnight, the tank's water dropped to a chilly 60 degrees and my boy refused to swim to the surface for food.
I've since raised the temperature in my room, moved my betta into a one gallon, and placed a space heater near his tank to keep the water from getting cold. I'm closely monitoring the water to make sure the space heater isn't making the water too hot.
I'm wondering if there's anything better I could be doing for my betta? Would it be safe to keep the space heater on for him while I sleep?
Thanks!
Popoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #2 
callistra

Make sure the space heater isn't aimed at the tank or too close.

Swings are worse than a few days a little cold.. but 60 is freezing.

If you can afford it, I would run to Walmart and get a digital space heater, place it in a room with a door you can close (like a bedroom or bathroom) and set it between 82-84. This will maintain temperature of the water.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #3 
Popoli

Callistra, my roommate has a digital space heater that I could borrow for a few days. The one I am using at the moment is an old metal one. But I'll move my betta into my bedroom with the heater and see how that goes. Thanks for the tip! :)
Popoli is offline   Reply With Quote