Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #1 
Lunchbox148

Help! How do I plant this?

Hello all! I bought some stem plants from my LFS. I have a question about this one stem plant in paticular.... when i bought it it was the stems were bunched togeather in rubber bands and some were bunched togeather floating in the water and some were bunched togeather in the gravel substrate.... They are pretty long about 12 inches and have long white roots intruding from random locations... How do i plant this? Can i just put it in my gravel as-is or do i have to prune the bottom?? I'm a plant newbie in need of some help! Thank you so much everyone! I dont know how to upload a picture so here is it on a website (4th picture down)

http://microbeauty.blogspot.com/2010...-and-stem.html
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Is it anacharis or something similar (Google for pictures to see if it looks like your plant). This can be left floating, or you can plant it. It will grow both ways.

I believe it does eventually develop roots if you plant it into the substrate but I haven't used it in ages so am not 100% sure.

The aerial roots always grow on stems. You can just trim these off if you find them unsightly. It won't hurt the plant.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 
valen1014

I'm sort of a newbie with pants too but I THINK if you are going to plant it, you can prune the leaves at the bottom a bit since they will just die off anyways when buried in the substrate.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #4 
sarahspins

Almost all stem plants can be left floating, so you don't have to plant them if you don't want to .

If you plant them, I like to leave the bottom leaves on - I find it helps them stay in the substrate better. Most will develop roots in the substrate within a week or so but they may be tricky to keep in place. I make sure I ask for extra plant weights (little zinc strips you can wrap around the stems) when I buy stem plants so I don't have to try so hard to bury them.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote