Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 
BeckyFish97

Talking Finally My Spawn Log

Ok so I've been waiting for days to post a spawn log, I was a little worried I was going to suffer the curse of the early spawn log so I waited until my babies hatched, which I am very happy to tell you, they did this morning.

This is actually my second spawn that I have got the babies to hatching stage and I'm really hoping I don't mess up like I did last time! The babies all died last time because I opened the lid and a cold draft blew in which they (at 1 day old) reacted very badly to! But this time I know a lot more than I did the first time so I'm hoping it all goes to plan!

Daddy (Boris) Is a crowntail, red and a sort of lavander (ish) purple, in a rough butterfly pattern. I was told at the place I had bought him that he is from good stock, however the lady that bought him originally said he had clumped the eggs together when she bred him and not many hatched so she didn't want to waste her time when she has so many other decent males. I am also told he has black orchid genes in him somewhere along the line (not sure if this is true but it sounded pretty believeable)

Mummy (Holly) Is a doubletail, she is green with slight tints of pinky red, hence the name lol. I don't know much about her, only that she is from a long line of well bred doubletails, and has not bred before, but she seemed to have no problem with Boris.

My estimate is that I have about 30 babies, there are a few more eggs but I'm unsure if they will hatch over the rest of today, but I am hoping some do!

Pictures to come!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #2 
BeckyFish97

pictures

Quality isnt great, I'm shocking at photography but oh well! I think theres a random platy picture in there somewhere...not sure why...LOL

Also for the people that think the floor looks dirty-it is, the IAL started to disintigrate, I'm going to cup all the fry as soon as they are free swimming so I can remove that horrible mess :/
Just realised thats a loot of pictures haha
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

LOL just noticed my checklist in the back of some of those pics-sorry folks, this girls gotta have a to do list to get anything done :P

Some of the babies are trying to swim haha its quite amusing seeing them twist round and round in circles until daddy comes flying after them to tell them off for leaving his beautifully made nest :P
Old 12-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 
BeckyFish97

Managed to do a rough count, looks like about 70 babies!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Congrats.....look forward to watching them grow and develop into some awesome fish.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

Thanks :) I'm so excited :D after what happened with my first spawn I was really worried I was going to make another silly mistake but so far all is good :)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #7 
BeckyFish97

:( boris has left about 30 babies on the floor and not even bothered to pick them up :( what do I do??
Old 12-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Ehh, some fathers cannot keep up with the fry. I also found the father may either eat "bad eggs" or "sick fry", or leave them.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #9 
marktrc

congrats on the fry.

hmm you plan to cup the fry when they become free swimming to clean? i dont know if thats a good idea. i siphoned mine with nylon stocking over the tip. maybe other people do it a diff way or have diff suggestions.
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #10 
aemaki09

Cupping them sounds like an impossible chore! Especially with 70 of them! Nylon sock/pantyhose over a gravel vac does a good job and doesn't catch fry. Also a turkey vaster for unbeaten food is great too.

Goodluck with them! I can't wait to see the results! I tried this with a dbt male and ct female a month or two ago but the spawn failed and the dad has passed so I can't try again. Looking forward to seeing fry development!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote