Betta Fish Forum banner

old age issues or sign of sickness?

514 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nel3 
#1 ·
my first betta, a black and dark blue colours. he has some hidden red areas between the rays. i just noticed some weird growthjust infront and above the right eye (face on view.) its 50% the size of rhe eye, its blue in colour and similar in apearance to a boil. its right near his eye but not yet large enough to force against it just yet. he has no other signs of sickness. he's in a cycled 5g divided 27C heated. is this bump an old age thing or something that can be medicated?

its a bit hard to see but the first bulge is the one in question, the 2nd is his eye.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
thank you for the reply Matt, i did notice another bulge on a friends' betta body but that was an old betta also. thats the main reason why im not too alarmed. the friend's betta passed 2-3 months later.

i'll try to get better pics but that'll be tough. my digital camera doesnt take best high res zoom pics on macro. regular settings arent as good as macro on my camera. it does have an inward dimple in its center.

i just did a 4L wc on the 5g and i'll just hope it doesnt impari his well being too much. Nel (vt) was atleast 8 month old when i got him. prize competition regifted betta from my brother. he got it as a take home gift from his friend's wedding.

i do have to admit that the prospect of rapid aquisition of similarly aged bettas can lead to several passing within a few moths didnt occur to me early on too strongly.

do you have any suggestions as to when i should take him out of the 5g into isolation so he doesnt have a risk of dieing in the 5g? i do know a cycled tank could probablyy handle one floater but id rather have them in a seperate tank to minimise cross contamination/health risks to other occupants.

#4 ·
#5 ·
i know that the vt (nel) is around 2 yrs old minimum. ive seen an older betta with similar signs before.

he does have some finrot issues but lately his fins tear and he trims them down. his anal tail recently split and there are no signs of fin rot yet. none of his fins are curling yet. if he survives, im sure the fins will tear again. i dont use Aq salt on him too often and only do so when its quicker rot, his fins tear/split often.

the 5g has a DeT, VT and 1 nerite, 1 live moss plant, 2-4 pellets a day and BW occasionally 50wc every week or 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.