Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #1 
MiyuMikaelson

Theory of breeding.

I'm not sure I'm near experienced enough to breed Betta's. But the theory of what the fry could look like are intriguing.

What would you breed him with? He's an OHM Copper Butterfly Male. I love love love his coloring. But I'm not good at detecting "deformities" such as hunchbacks and things. Does he have anything that's considered unfavorable? What would you balance him out with?

Again, I'm not sure I'll ever breed him. But I always love to learn information and everyone here is so knowledgeable. Learning is +5 fun for me.
C:
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #2 
aemaki09

He seems to have a little bit of spoon head so you want a female that's as far from that as possible. Both his dorsal ad anal are a little too long IMO, I get a female with really tight fins. Id also try to get a female with full body dragon scaling, his seems to wander off here and there. His tail is tryin to go for the BF pattern but the rest of his fins don't, I'd either Try to breed the pattern in or out, probably out. And for color I'd go with something close to his coloring. Probably red dragon.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #3 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
He seems to have a little bit of spoon head so you want a female that's as far from that as possible. Both his dorsal ad anal are a little too long IMO, I get a female with really tight fins. Id also try to get a female with full body dragon scaling, his seems to wander off here and there. His tail is tryin to go for the BF pattern but the rest of his fins don't, I'd either Try to breed the pattern in or out, probably out. And for color I'd go with something close to his coloring. Probably red dragon.
Thanks for the response! In all likely-hood, I wont be breeding him. But it's nice to know what to look out for if I ever did decide to. I bought him more due to my preference for his look aesthetically, considering I bought him without doing much research into color patterns and etc.
:)
Old 02-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #4 
aemaki09

No problem! He is actually a really nice fish. The flaws I pointed out are really minor and you'll find flaws with just about every betta out there. It could all be worked out pretty fast with a good female.
His coloring is really gorgeous, if he were mine I would probably put him in a spawn tub.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
No problem! He is actually a really nice fish. The flaws I pointed out are really minor and you'll find flaws with just about every betta out there. It could all be worked out pretty fast with a good female.
His coloring is really gorgeous, if he were mine I would probably put him in a spawn tub.
I'm in love with him, for sure. Haha. But I'd be afraid of trying to breed, because he is in fact my very first Betta and I know I'm not knowleadgable enough for that.
:'D
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If you like his colors, pair him to another copper dragon. Other dragons like red or irid dragons should work as well but you won't get as many coppers.

Form wise; pair him to a balanced female. By balanced, I mean the fins are equal lengths, preferably one with pointy caudal edges (to reduce the roundness of caudal edges on the male). Further the female should have better top line (body).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #7 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
If you like his colors, pair him to another copper dragon. Other dragons like red or irid dragons should work as well but you won't get as many coppers.

Form wise; pair him to a balanced female. By balanced, I mean the fins are equal lengths, preferably one with pointy caudal edges (to reduce the roundness of caudal edges on the male). Further the female should have better top line (body).
Good to know!~ I love the look of the Copper's. Would definitely go for a balanced female if I were to breed him. I know this seems troublesome, but are there any examples of a better top line? I've never been really sure what to look for in a fish, or what to avoid.
^^;
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Take a look at this thread.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...female-129036/

All have good top line - the top part of the body doesn't dip oddly. Your boy has a rather spoon head - not severe, but could be improved.

The more questions you ask, the better I/we can help (I hope). The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. LOL
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote