Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #21 
indjo
TFK Moderator

BY edge, I meant the top and bottom part of caudal where the vertical meets the curved. A HM is preferred to have a "D" shape caudal. So the top and bottom edges should have equally long rays, making it look pointy like a perfect "D". IME fin form is inherited more from the female. If you use pointy edged females, you will have same traits in fry, not 100% though - easier to improve. Since getting (buying) perfect females is harder than males, thus IMO it's best to concentrate on working to get perfect females.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #22 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
BY edge, I meant the top and bottom part of caudal where the vertical meets the curved. A HM is preferred to have a "D" shape caudal. So the top and bottom edges should have equally long rays, making it look pointy like a perfect "D". IME fin form is inherited more from the female. If you use pointy edged females, you will have same traits in fry, not 100% though - easier to improve. Since getting (buying) perfect females is harder than males, thus IMO it's best to concentrate on working to get perfect females.

Ooooh.... that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #23 
valen1014

Not sure whether I'll be getting her or not (although she would bring me to enough females for a sorority muahaha ).... But just for the sake of applying what I learned....

Topline - check!
Shorter(er) anal - check!
Caudal spread - check! (not sure how to count rays...)
Doral... doesn't lean back (check!) but could use stronger first ray?
Caudal D shape - check!

I guess I will go try to find reasons not to buy her now XD

*Edit: On second look... her anal fin is still a bit longer than the end of her caudal, and the caudal isn't as pointy as I though I guess ^^;

This was just a female (sister of the other 3 probably) that the seller sent me a pic of when I asked for shorter anal fin.
Attached Images

Last edited by valen1014; 02-20-2013 at 08:37 AM.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #24 
Hadoken Kitty

The problem with looking at siblings with long anal fins, is that when you ask for a shorter one, you can only get one that is so short. If a majority of the females have long anal fins, then that is an over-all fry thing, not just the female. You can go with her and slowly work your way down. Or you can simply look at another seller. She really isn't bad. You'll never find the perfect fish. There's no such thing. You'll wear yourself out, but you can pick the best from your options. You can always work to creating your ideal fish, but you'll never find "perfect".
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #25 
FishFriend9292

I would use the second one so you don't get red mixed in with genes.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #26 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This female is much better than her sisters, though her dorsal could be better. Like HK said, you can't find a perfect female thus have to work for it. If her siblings mostly had long anals, she might produce more with long anals too. So, you just have to select the ones with the smallest anal

about rays, take a look at this thread
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...09/#post775884
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote