What size is your tank? 5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? wardley betta food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 crushed pellets per day and a bloodworm everyday lately, my moms been over feeding her while i was away so i have been fasting her. she will be switching back to 2 - crushed pellets a day with a fasting day once a week, occasional bloodworm

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2-3 weeks at the very most, less than i should, i know but im at college and id rather not clean the tank as often than stress my fish out by bringing her with me
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually 75 percent because she goes longer than she should without one.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? tetra aquasafe, enough for 5 gallons then a little extra drop for the .5

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - clamped fins occassionally
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - she seems okay, she swims alot and will still jump to catch food off my finger, she just clamps up sometimes when she rests

When did you start noticing the symptoms? when i got back from college for the weekend 2 days ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i changed the water when i got back.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?- i dropped her once when she was a baby, i wasnt sure if she would make it but with some epsom salt and her hospital tank and darkness for a few days she made a full recovery and has shown no signs of harm.

How old is your fish (approximately)? - i got her on oct 7th of 2012 i believe and she was a baby betta, so 4 months and a few weeks i guess!

i got her a new amazon sword plant yesterday, im not sure if that has anything to do with it, also her light was broken for about a month, but i was using a make up mirror to give her light that wasnt too strong, i got her a new bulb yesterday too so im wondering if im just being paranoid and that shes just getting used to her new environment.

im leaving for college later tonight, but please let me know if theres anything i can do now to make her happier and in the long run.

the amazon sword is the small green plant, the others are silk.
heres her set up now!
Attached Images

laurenmekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 
Crowntails

I'd bump up the temperature in the tank to 80 degrees. That's where bettas like it best. FYI the Amazon Sword will quickly outgrow your tank. They need at least a 20 gallon tank, 55 gallon is best. I'd take it out asap.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 
laurenmekal

really??? you think so?? even one that is so tiny?? ugh. my mom has a 20 gallon maybe i will put it in there.
i also had java moss and someone said that would quickly take my tank over and it did not at all.
but if it really does grow that quickly i will remove it.
doyou think it would be ok to leave for 2 - 3 weeks until i come back? or is it definitely best to remove?
Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 
laurenmekal

i also cannot raise the temperature. her heater isnt adjustable, its set at 78 i thought, but it seems to be staying at 76. i will consider getting a new one when i come back from school. i just spent all the money on the new plant -___-
Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #5 
Crowntails

The Amazon Sword will be fine for a few weeks. But you might have to do some trimming. Java moss is perfect for a tank this size. I've seen people have java moss in as small as a one gallon tank.

I'd save up some money and invest in an adjustable heater.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6 
laurenmekal

i definitely will. the java moss was great, but my girls lightbulb went out for about 2 weeks and i couldnt get another until this weekend, so the java moss pretty much all died off, i saved a few green strands and threw them in, hopefully they can start regrowing and getting situated back in the tank. i loved my moss i was so sad when it died ): i really want to start trying to convert to an all planted tank. i wish i thought to do it from the beginning, but my fish started out as a college companion in a 3/4 gallon and is now my home pet in a luxurious 5.5 (: its going to be hard to transition to a planted tank with my fish in, but do you think it will be possible in a 5.5? i wont start the transition yet, probably over the summer when i am home from school longer. i wish i could take her back and forth with me but i cant put her through the 2 hour car ride, i feel too bad /:
Old 02-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #7 
laurenmekal

also, i had her heater plugged into a very old extension cord, i plugged it in to a new surge protector about 10 minutes ago and the temp is already risen to about 77, so i think that was the problem. hopefully it will get to the correct temp!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You do water changes every 2 to 3 weeks on no that is not good, while I understand your away in college cant you teach your mom how to do a water change ? I do a 50 percent water change per week on my 5 gallon and its cycled. Live plants are what you need right now and plenty of them since your waiting so long between water changes as they will some of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as food. Any of the floating plants are great for that such as Hornwort, Anacharis, Water Sprite etc.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #9 
laurenmekal

thats exactly what i was thinking. im trying to teach my mom how to do it, but since i was only home for such a short time and it was a last minute decision to leave her i am waiting until we can definitely get it right. the only reason she is staying home is because i got her right before hurricane sandy and my college lost power and her tank got so cold that i was afraid i would lose her, so i decided that going a little too long without a change is better than keeping her in a bad environment and having limited access to resources. my mom is taking good care of her so far, and when i come home in about two weeks i will be home for a week, and i will show my mom the ins and outs of caring for her. that is exactly why i wanted the plants too, because thats the least i can do for her if i have to make her wait so long. i honestly did not know that this much would go into caring for her and i shouldve done my research before just going out and getting her, but there is nothing i can do now except try to make her environment the best it can be. over spring break and the summer i am going to make her tank so cool, and try to save up money to get her a permanent larger tank on a stand in my bedroom which i am currently renovating. i cant wait (:
Old 02-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Wardly betta pellets? I would switch to NLS.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote