Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #11 
isochronism

The white dots may be daphnia, sometimes called water fleas. I have a tank with tetras, danios, and rasboras and the daphnia are a great live food source. Good luck with your tank!!
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #12 
JessJesting

The dwarf lily is growing fully submerged. It grows from a bulb. As far as growing them emerged I have no idea. They have pinkish looking arrowhead leaves. They are very beautiful. My favorite so far. Bout the only good site I can find on them: http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Plant,%20Dwarf%20Lily.htm

My nitrite definitely exceeded 5.0 ppm. I am using the API master test kit and it was off the charts! It seems like I always have high nitrites whenever they are there. How should I control that? More water changes?

I was thinking of doing the liquid ammonia like Hallyx suggested. I feel I have more control of the dosing rather then letting the shrimp rot. I have heard of Tetra Safestart but I am leery of buying things like that. Has anyone had any personal experience with it?

I had nitrates appear twice. The first time it was small and then rose to very high and then dropped to zero. The second time it was just a little then back to zero. The first time the nitrites were amazingly high with no signs of stopping. The second time the nitrites were at .25 I got excited thinking it was going somewhere. But alas it dropped to zero as well.

Someone else had suggested skipping the cycle due to my plants. Is this safe for the fish and shrimp? Can they survive like that? I always thought they needed the nitrates to survive. The ammonia is almost always at zero. I thought it was due to the cycle at work but now I'm not so sure.

As far as the white dots go I hope they aren't snails. I was worried about this. I HATE SNAILS lol. The plants have been in there the whole time (since Jan first) could it really be little baby snails? I hope not.

Thanks again guys.
JessJesting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

dwarf lilies can send out pads as well. IMO they're prettier with submersed leaves. to keep it growing submersed leaves, it's recommended that you cut any leaf that strays too close to the surface.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Oh, those lilies. Reddish jobs that grow like crazy and send out pads. Dragon lilies, red lilies, etc. Love those. But I can't trust bulbs anymore; hit or miss for me. Got some Aponogeton that way, too.

Yeah, 5.0ppm nitrite can seriously slow bacteria growth. But the ammonia should start it again. Small tank can be problematical, or they can cycle smoothly as any larger tank. Many of us have done it, though, and I still recommend it.

As said, your alternative is becoming a plant person and maintaining a planted tank. I can't do that; so all I have are Anubias for topcover and mossballs for fun.

Fish and shrimp don't need nitrate to survive. Nothing does. Plants eat ammonia first (after converting it to ammonium), nitrite second and nitrate last. I suppose it's possible your Lily and Hornwort are eating it all. But I'd rather see the ammonia being cycled into nitrate. That's a cycle I could trust.

Member Karebear used Safestart successfully. I don't know how to search here, but there are others. I wish I could remember the name of the member who swears by Dr Tim's.

Let me look. I'll be back

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Hey, Aokashi. Remember this one from last summer?

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...gallon-105761/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #16 
JessJesting

Yes those lilies! They are quite lovely! I actually got mine living from the LFS. I couldn't resist.

I have thought about having just a planted tank but I would really love a little fishy in there. =) that being said...

I would really like to get this tank to cycle. Its been my little project and I can get a bit obsessive lol. Im very patient so I can see this through one way or the other! At the moment I'm debating on whether or not to try to dose with pure ammonia or to try Safestart. I was thinking of just stocking the tank but I'd really like it to cycle! Im paranoid about it if i dont. Either way I decide I will keep you updated! I'll test the water when I'm off work tomorrow and post results.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Edit: I forgot to mention the water fleas. How would I tell the difference between those and baby snails? Wait and see if they get any bigger?

Last edited by JessJesting; 02-18-2013 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Hey, Aokashi. Remember this one from last summer?

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...gallon-105761/
yes, haha. I guess things come around like this all the time. though this time I qould say. Ofcourse it's possible to cycle a 2.5! since so many have done it since then... Like Lebron, Speaking of which, I wonder where the kid went :(
you're a seasoned grasshopper now Hallyx ;)

@Jess- cyclops and other copepods will move around the water colum at a decent speed. They will also feed on the aquarium glass, but move around rather quickly. snails are slow and cant skip ans hop like the copepod critters.

Last edited by ao; 02-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #18 
JessJesting

Well work has kept me busy..

After checking the water for a few days I decided to try the Tetra SafeStart. I put it in on the 22nd, along with a new betta. Followed all the instructions, shook very well at least for a couple minutes. Just checked the water (first time since I put it in) and it is at zero ammonia zero nitrite and zero nitrate. Only been three days so I dont know. I will just keep an eye on it.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #19 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessJesting View Post
Well work has kept me busy..

After checking the water for a few days I decided to try the Tetra SafeStart. I put it in on the 22nd, along with a new betta. Followed all the instructions, shook very well at least for a couple minutes. Just checked the water (first time since I put it in) and it is at zero ammonia zero nitrite and zero nitrate. Only been three days so I dont know. I will just keep an eye on it.
I think you need 0 ammonia, nitrite and some nitrate to consider it as cycled.
all 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates is a common reading for fresh dechlorinated tap water reading IME.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #20 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I think you need 0 ammonia, nitrite and some nitrate to consider it as cycled.
all 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates is a common reading for fresh dechlorinated tap water reading IME.
Not entirely true ... 0 nitrates are common when you have plants. Nitrates are plant food!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote