Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #1 
jessp118

I have a problem.....

I recently found this glass bowl that looked like it was used for fish a long time ago in a house we were cleaning out. We were told to take anything we wanted. My mother instantly said that she wanted a fancy goldfish for it. I told her that it wouldn't work but she wants it anyways. I then went to look up the glofish. The only problem is that they recommend 10+ gallons. So now I'm at betta fish. There is no flat surfaces for a heater, the water with out the heater would be 68. I estimate that it will hold maybe 2 gallons. My mother also loves my two betta fish. I have a small 1 gallon pre-set heater. What kind of heater would work for possibly 2 gallons? Should I put a betta in the tank?

My mother is still set on a fancy goldfish even after i gave her all the facts......
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #2 
NeptunesMom

You could always tell her what I tell my customers who want a goldfish for a bowl. "You can do it, but you will have a depressed, anxious fish that will die sad as you watch it die knowing that its emotional state is because you were selfish and did not want to think of it's proper care needs. Yes, go ahead and get it." Then sometimes I get the, "I had a goldfish before, it was fine and lived for (insert usually 2-3 years in here)". Then I respond with, "Goldfish can live to be 50, but because people don't care for them right they die as babies." I can promise you almost ALWAYS they either upgrade to another tank or put the fish back.

She could always put some live plants in there, and make a live plant bowl. I have seem people do that, and it can look beautiful.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #3 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
You could always tell her what I tell my customers who want a goldfish for a bowl. "You can do it, but you will have a depressed, anxious fish that will die sad as you watch it die knowing that its emotional state is because you were selfish and did not want to think of it's proper care needs. Yes, go ahead and get it." Then sometimes I get the, "I had a goldfish before, it was fine and lived for (insert usually 2-3 years in here)". Then I respond with, "Goldfish can live to be 50, but because people don't care for them right they die as babies." I can promise you almost ALWAYS they either upgrade to another tank or put the fish back.

She could always put some live plants in there, and make a live plant bowl. I have seem people do that, and it can look beautiful.
kinda told her that. in that size tank, it would die in about a day or two. The sad part, I have to take care of it. If it dies, then its my fault. I would rather find a small heater of some kind and put a betta in. It would lase longer and looks better, but I want someone else's input into this situation.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #4 
Viva

Please convince her to get a betta that looks similar to a goldfish. There are orange, yellow, black and even koi colored bettas that are (in my opinion) more beautiful than a cartoon goldfish. You can get a small, flat heater like the one I use for my 1.8gallon Kritter Keeper. It's a Hydor 7.5w flat heater that you can put at the bottom of the bowl. It keeps my water about 10 degrees higher Fahrenheit than the room temperature.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Please convince her to get a betta that looks similar to a goldfish. There are orange, yellow, black and even koi colored bettas that are (in my opinion) more beautiful than a cartoon goldfish. You can get a small, flat heater like the one I use for my 1.8gallon Kritter Keeper. It's a Hydor 7.5w flat heater that you can put at the bottom of the bowl. It keeps my water about 10 degrees higher Fahrenheit than the room temperature.
She refuses to put a heater in. my only options are to plant it with aquatic plants and/or put a few glofish in it now.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

You could always use it for some decorating purpose. Like put some sand in it, some smooth rocks, and a candle. Or use it as a unique vase. Or you could get one of those floating candles and put it in there. Or you could fill it with pine cones and cinnamon sticks. Or... there are a lot of fun crafty things you could do with it. I really love decorating with fish bowls (minus the fish).

Or, you could get one of those little fake battery operated fish (I used to have one) and put it in there for her. No heater, food or water changes required.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote