Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #1 
adcx64

Can I put a Tetra in my tank?

Im looking to put a small $1 tetra in my well planted 2.5 gal tank with my betta. Is this safe? Ive read online that it could be okay but I'd live a second opinion.
adcx64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Tetra are schooling fish and so should not be kept alone. A 2.5 gallon tank is already fully stocked with a single betta. Though you could possibly try shrimp or a small snail.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 
Crowntails

The smallest of tetras need at least a 10 gallon tank, even neons which only get about an inch. Also, tetras require to be in a school of at least 6, but 8+ is better. No, you cannot put a single tetra in the tank, sorry.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #4 
adcx64

Ah I understand. Are there any fish I can keep with my Betta? How about a tiny female?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #5 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcx64 View Post
Ah I understand. Are there any fish I can keep with my Betta? How about a tiny female?
Nope, your tank is filled. 2.5 gallons is a bare minimum for a single betta. Your male will most likely kill a female betta and they should not be housed together. Only when breeding.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah do not ever put male and female bettas together unless the intention is to breed. One will usually end up maiming or killing the other and in a 2.5 gallon tank there is no room for the other fish to even have a chance at an escape.

You are going to need a 10-15 gallon tank if you want to add any fish in with your betta.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #7 
adcx64

Im glad I asked here before I bought anything! Thanks guys!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #8 
rey1977

The straight answer is no, but the Goldfish would be better off in a heated community tank, than in a bowl. Goldfish have different dietary needs, and do not do as well in a heated aquarium. You should put in a bubbler to increase the oxygen level. The Goldfish will eat you Cherry Shrimp, but would be OK with the other fish, Koi are the nasty Goldfish. He can grow to be over 1". These simple, cheap fish, are actually not the easiest to take care of. They are dirty fish. Their tanks require more cleanings, and people do not usually know how big they get. He can live for a few years in an aquarium (but will outgrow yours), as opposed to much less in a bowl. My advice would be to get rid of him, unless you are willing to make a commitment, and get a bigger tank. Good luck.
rey1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I think you might have posted in the wrong thread rey1977.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #10 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey1977 View Post
The straight answer is no, but the Goldfish would be better off in a heated community tank, than in a bowl. Goldfish have different dietary needs, and do not do as well in a heated aquarium. You should put in a bubbler to increase the oxygen level. The Goldfish will eat you Cherry Shrimp, but would be OK with the other fish, Koi are the nasty Goldfish. He can grow to be over 1". These simple, cheap fish, are actually not the easiest to take care of. They are dirty fish. Their tanks require more cleanings, and people do not usually know how big they get. He can live for a few years in an aquarium (but will outgrow yours), as opposed to much less in a bowl. My advice would be to get rid of him, unless you are willing to make a commitment, and get a bigger tank. Good luck.
Goldfish do not like heated tanks, they will overheat and die. They need tanks at that preferably under 70 degrees.