Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 
MannyTRD

Can someone give me tips to breed succesfully?

I have a royal blue male and a turquoise female!! thats a goo[ATTACH]Name:  030220132451[1].jpg
Views: 173
Size:  38.2 KB[/ATTACH]d combination?
Attached Images

MannyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #2 
Dowutzright

Well breeding betta fish is all about preference in what to do or use. I personally use thailand method and it works better than the method with a tank in my opinion. You should go to youtube and watch the betta breeding from the best breeder in the world videos it's great!
Dowutzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Careful about "the best breeder in the world" in youtube. His method may work but IMO it's not the best method, specially for beginners.

Any method may work, each breeder has his/her own method. Read as many as you can find (methods) and go with what ever suits you. You might have to change a few things according to your needs/preference.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #4 
Myates

Yeah.. some of his recommendations has made even me roll my eyes.

You'll get variations of blues with those two.. possibly some red mixed in to make multis. Pet store bettas tend to be a bit harder to know what you will get as you don't know what is in the history of the fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Your also breeding veiltails, which are undesirable, hard to sell, and you will not make much off of them. Maybe do not listen to Dowutzright and beat breeder in the world, some of those methods are questionable at best and especially not for beginners.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #6 
logisticsguy

There is some useful info from that best guy ever in the entire universe, but many things are kinda silly that he says. Research some more to be rounded. Most of all be well prepared for hundreds of hours of work over a 3-4 month period with very little financial reward in the end. Breeding the bettas is not tremendously difficult but raising them to adulthood is a major challenge.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #7 
Myates

I ended up having to mix multiple breeder's ways to get mine to successfully breed.. my way isn't the conventional way, but it works for me with great success. So definitely research, look around and find what works best for you and your fish.

Preparedness, patience and conditioning are the top three things needed when it comes to breeding.. without all three you won't be successful.

Prepare - make sure you have all the food you will need in advance, otherwise it will be a mad rush to locate the food you need within a day or two before you need to start feeding the fry. So get everything ready - if you're doing cultures, get them in and divide them up so you have a few growing, and back up in case one crashes. Make sure you have all your equipment, again, don't want to be having to rush for something at the last minute because it was forgotten.. been there, done that and it's not fun.

Patience is the key - some people get lucky and get a spawn right away, others it takes weeks or even months to get a successful spawn. Working with different fish will also come into play.. virgins may need a bit more time to learn what to do properly.. males may need to practice wrapping, or will eat their eggs at first because they don't know any better. So don't expect a spawn right away, or even with the one pair - it may take multiple females/males to get a pair who connect well and who want to breed.

Condition - one of the biggest lessons I had learned.. make sure you condition properly and good. Make sure the female is ready to pop with eggs before releasing, especially if she is a virgin. It may still take them a while (one of my females who was a virgin took a week to breed and she was so huge the whole time), but they are more likely to continue to flirt and attempt and be interested for the time it takes if she is full of eggs. Feed well and feed often during conditioning. Keep them separated from one another's view (and of other bettas) during that time.. give them a 10-20 minute viewing session a day and then back to being alone. I've tried having them view 24/7 and carding them (keeping them out of view), and the most success I've had were with the ones who were carded and unable to see another betta 99% of the time.
Bettas who are not ready to breed, who weren't conditioned properly, may end up hurting each other rather than breeding.. it's a risk placing two together when they aren't ready.

Those are my tips for the most part.. I can sit here and tell you it's going to cost lots of money (grow out tanks, jars/cups, heaters for all, water/electric bill, etc), can tell you breeding VTs it will be a bit more difficult to get rid of (not many people willing to spend $35 on shipping for a $3 fish they can get at any LFS).. yes, there are new fancy VTs out there, but the common ones such as yours pretty much go for only a couple dollars at the most, and pennies (if that even) at a LFS. So be prepared that this is a good way to learn about breeding and learn about raising fry - but if you are looking to sell you may want to look into other breeds as well just to bring in some money to help pay for all the food, etc you will be purchasing frequently. But by all means, breed what you wish as this is something you do for enjoyment more than anything else.. but keep your options open.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Not going to touch on the breeding successfully part, but even for a first spawn you might want to look at pairing some more marketable fish.

It looks like you are going to get a lot of blue (possibly with red wash as I think I see some on the female) VTs with this cross. The market is saturated with fish of this type, and it may be hard to find someone that will take any excess.

Although most first-time spawns tend to be small due to beginner errors and inexperience, there is still the possibility that you could end up with 100 or so fry.

This is just something else to think about when it comes to breeding. You should always have a plan in place for what is going to happen to the fry before you even think of spawning your pair. If you are going to be selling a majority to either hobbyists or stores, then you might want to look at purchasing a pair that is going to be a little more desirable to future buyers.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #9 
Myates

Personally, I feel the same way.. why I went with HMs and now starting PKs in my breeding, when I personally rather do VTs. I just hate telling people not to breed a pair if they really love it. But having a plan is ideal and knowing what to do with all of those lives you brought into the world is very important. My first spawn netted a couple hundred :)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #10 
MannyTRD

myates thank you for the advice .... I will try to have a good spawn and then sell it but if I dont have success I will try another things :) thak you all
MannyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote