Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Oh sorry I meant it was a tablespoon and a bit of salt and then a few pinches (okay I am usually pretty liberal here) of baking soda to buffer the pH.

Usually if I am being exact I do 1.5L of water to 1.5 tablespoons of salt. Don't know if this is under/over kill on the water to salt ratio but it works and I'm sticking with it haha. I used to use less salt and it still gave me BBS. I just want my BBS to hatch as soon as possible so I figure that more salt should hopefully increase the rate a bit.

When you make a new batch I like to pour out and give the hatchery container a good rinse out. I read somewhere that not rinsing it properly can lead to a less successful hatch rate and so I just do it as a precautioun now.

Hope that helps. If you get a smallish spawn, it takes only a very tiny amount of BBS eggs to feed them all. I have lots of small spawns in my grow-outs (from 5-50 individuals) and I am always hatching too much BBS and subsequently having to chuck it out.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #12 
Vizja13

Alright, that doesn't look TOO hard, BBS it is :)

What supplier do you get yours from?
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I have a quite small sachet I got from one of the stores here.

However, if I were you I would probably have a look around online as actual brick and mortar stores tend to be more expensive.

I believe a lot of people recommend storing the eggs in the freezer. I just keep mine in a cool, dark place and haven't seen any impact on the hatch rate.

BBS are good. I am just quite lazy so my feedings of them tend to be fairly sporadic haha.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #14 
Vizja13

Hahahaha well, this for now looks like a one time thing for me :( THat was the deal with my parents, anyway.

You are so lucky to have a good store near you...you would THINK in such a big area...but no.

THanks again for the help!
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Actually when I say LFS I mean interstate haha. But I usually just use it to refer to stores that I frequent. My actual LFS are pretty craptastic in terms of livestock and knowledge.

It sucks when you don't have good stores near you. I don't have a car license and it's at least a 1-2 hour trip to the nearest one. I got some odd looks when I was at the bus stop with a bag of aquarium wood.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #16 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
This is how I have my set-up. Because I want a very fast hatching time, I put my BBS jar in an old fish tank and run an aquarium heater to heat the water up. However, if you have a warm spot in your house to put it you shouldn't need to do that.

Exactly how I have mine set up - but I use the upside down 2 liter sodas though instead, was worried the glass on glass would be too heavy.

I have the temp set at around 82F to get the quicker hatches.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Haha I failed at the soda bottle method. Mine kept leaking and I never got around to purchasing silicone. I usually put a bottle on top of my jar with a slit for the airline tubing to go through, as I was getting a lot of salt crusted on everything from the spray.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #18 
louisvillelady

Hey Littlebettafish, I have almost basically the same setup as you, the only difference is, instead of chucking the extra, I pour them in the outer tank, which has a long bubbler in it, and grow out the extra brine for a treat for my adult fish. I feed them yeast. Every so often I have to clean it out, but I always save the adult brine. Its very easy to do especially since the tank is already set up and not being used. Just a tip I though I'd share. Good Luck Vizja13! I love coppers! And that marble you have is so pretty! When ever you do decide to spawn her, I'm sure she will have some pretty babies.lol can't wait to see all the little ones you have!
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote