Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 
Marvel170

Question What is the easiest Type/colors to breed?

Hey guys, I have recently been doing alot of research about breeding bettas, because in the future I plan on breeding these beautiful fish when I get my own place and money to support this awesome hobby. I have some questions as to is there certain types and colors that are easier to breed than others? If so what would be a good type/color to start with if you are a novice breeder?

Sorry I sound like such a NOOB but I have been wondering this for a while.
Thanks in advance :)
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 
Myates

Some people say breeding plakats is easier..
Some people say breeding reds is a pain..

But what it comes down to is how you breed and how you condition. There really is no "easier" tail type/color to breed.. they are all the same species, just different fins/colors. Like a dog.. it's a dog, but looks different.. but still a dog :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 
aemaki09

What do you mean by easier?
Easier as in getting a show quality fish out of them? Or easier as in getting them to just do the deed?
For the first one I'd probably go with a CT or PK multi color.
For the 2nd, theres really no easier one. Like myates said, some people seem to think that shorter finned fish are easier to breed because they think long finned fish have less mobility and have a hard time wrapping the female.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

All of the colors are the same. Tail types are where it differs. Veiltails or pla kats are the easiest (but please do not breed veiltails for so many reasons). Double tails are the hardest (to raise, not to spawn). Dt is a deformity by nature and many fry will be lost.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Breeding is basically the same for all colors and fin type. It's rearing and maintaining fins that's different. PK is easiest because it's short fins are more adaptive/tolerant towards different water parameters. Long fins need more specific water - specially CT. Unsuitable water will make their fins bend/curl, and even torn (shaggy) as if it had been bitten.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #6 
Marvel170

Myates-Thanks :) yeah I never thought of it like that but you are right.

aemaki09- Sorry I didn't make my question very clear, and I want to try and do combtails for around my area they haven't seen a fish like that before. plus I find that I like them. I haven't heard of people thinking that before.. I have two veil tails right now and they don't seem weighed down in the least.

MattsBettas- Thanks for the tip :) Okay cuz I was in the spawn logs and I was wondering what they meant when one of the breeders said that DT was hard.

indjo- Thanks for the info :) what kind of water does a Crown tail need then if I want to have crowntails? when I am able to I want to try for some Combtails like I mentioned in the other response. Would they need specific water parameters like CTs or because they are half PK and CT would that make them different? sorry I just have a lot of questions :/
Old 02-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yea, Sena Hansler who is a very experienced breeder lost the vast majority of her dt spawn.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #8 
Marvel170

Yeah I was watching that Log, that really sucks. Was she able to get a few out of it though?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

As of now she has 14 from a spawn of 250+
Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #10 
Marvel170

Oh man that really does suck >_< but it is better than nothing :)