Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 
LoriKeet

PH Question

I finally have a testing kit (yipee! :D), and everything seems to be checking out just fine, save for the PH levels which appear to be on the high side.

I have a PH balance of 7.8 - 8.0 (according to the salmon colored water in the testing tube). Do I need to be concerned about my little Betta's welfare? If not, what should I do to take down the PH in his tank?

Please and thank you. :)
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #2 
Chard56

I kept Bettas in water with a ph of 8.0 for years. The only problem I had was with my Black Orchid Crowntails. Their fin rays would curl up. Not on my Gold and Copper CT's just the Black Orchids.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKeet View Post
I finally have a testing kit (yipee! :D), and everything seems to be checking out just fine, save for the PH levels which appear to be on the high side.

I have a PH balance of 7.8 - 8.0 (according to the salmon colored water in the testing tube). Do I need to be concerned about my little Betta's welfare? If not, what should I do to take down the PH in his tank?

Please and thank you. :)
my ph is 8.0 maybe a little higher, and a have very hard water. I have 2 cories and a betta, all who are happy :)

As long as its stable, dont mess with it:)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #4 
Viva

8.0 is fine, but I added in a peat moss ball to lower mine down to about 7.5. I would avoid using pure acid (pH Down) to lower the PH. I would avoid adjusting the pH at all but since I've done it with peat I can't say not to =p
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 
osromatra

If it's stable, it's probably best to leave it alone.

I say that, but mine is 7.6 and I want it lower (7.0-7.2). I'm planning on slowly lowering mine over the process of a month or two, by slowly adding tannins, which I think will be healthier overall. I am just not going to rush into it. But I have fish in mine that prefer lower pH (the kuhli loaches) so it's more important to me. If it were just my betta, or other fish without concerns with higher pH, then I'd leave it alone for sure.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemical, high, ph level, water