Wholystang

Betta just died.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? I just added 3 Cory Cats (only 2 days quarantine)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food, and Dried Blood Worms once a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day in the morning

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 2-3 days. The tank finished cycling about a week ago, and I haven't changed it since then.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Because I was cycling up to 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The same night I added my Corys I noticed one small white spot on my Betta around his eye. I thought he was getting ick. I went to bed (all the stores were closed) and when I got up half of his head, and his eye, were completely white.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lethargic, wouldn't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Less than 24hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I got up this morning, bought some Maracyn, and aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. In fact, I was really excited because he was getting lots of color compared to when I bought him (he was all black).
How old is your fish (approximately)? Ive had him 2 months.

I am pretty upset that he died. I was quite attached to him. I really thought he just had ick and that I could handle it easily. He went from looking fine, and acting healthy, to being very lethargic and actually dying within 24hours. It looks like the white spots were eating away at his face. I am pretty upset because I am sure the fish I added are what caused the death. I just got worried that the small quarantine tank I was keeping them in was really stressing them out (Corys). Ironically I was buying the fish to help keep the tank in good shape for my Betta. What could this have been that killed him so quick? (I thought it was Columnaris) And what should I do to clear the tank of whatever this was? I bought a 10gallon quarantine tank for future illnesses and new fish, but its too late for that now. Please let me know so I can prevent this in the future!!!!

Thanks
Wholystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #2 
callistra

quarantine all new fish a month before adding them.

Sorry for your loss :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Well a month is very good, but two weeks will do as well. I do not think it is the cories that caused this however. Even if they did have something, it wouldn't affect him that fast. Instead, I think you may be dealing with this- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 
Wholystang

Yeah I just got complacent because it is the same store I bought my betta from and he was fine. I have a quarantine tank now. But it still sucks. I was determined to give him a great life, and a mistake on my part killed him :(
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I don't think it was your fault. Does it look like the disease on that thread?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #6 
Wholystang

Not particularly. It started between his eye and his mouth as one little spot. When I woke up, half his face, and covering his eye was completely covered in white (not fuzzy thought) and he was acting fine. It took two hours to go to the fish store and come back and by then he was floating around head up/tail down, and then randomly swimming around. He was also rubbing his face on things where the irritation was. He slowly got more and more lethargic until he passed. But nothing was really grey, more white.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #7 
Wholystang

So should I do the full five day Maracyn to treat the tank? Or just do a couple of partial water changes? Tear everything down and recycle? I don't want to introduce a new beta into a bad environment.