Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #1 
Fin Fancier

Heater opinion

Last week while doing my water change I noticed some brown on my heater. Thinking it was algae I took it out for a cleaning and realized the brown was inside of the heater! I don't know when it got chipped but I found a small hole under the rubber cover that protects the bottom of the heater... So much for protecting it. Anyway after a 100 percent change my female and tank are fine, unfortunately I had to go back to my old non-adjustable heater which keeps the tank around 74 - 76 degrees.

Long story short I'm on the market for a new heater. I found a 110V 50W Watt Anti-Explosion Submersible Aquarium Fish Tank Water Heater:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-50W-Wat...item5899ee68cc
on ebay. Anybody know about or use this heater? At 8$ it's adjustable and looks good. I'm just making sure I check it out.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #2 
tekkguy

Heaters are one thing you don't want to go cheap on. I have had GREAT luck with the Hydor Theo ... I have used the 25W and the 50W. I'm currently using the 50W in my 5 gallon. It's $20 - $25, but worth it because I have less worry than I'd have with a cheap-o China job failing and cooking my fish!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
sparkyjoe

I love my Hydor heaters. After any initial adjustments they have needed no further temp changes and all four of my tanks are doing great. I got mine from Amazon.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Aqueon 50W: got 3 of them on Amazon for about $21 each w/Amazon Prime free shipping

they are within 1F of the set dial temperature.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #5 
brookeandbubba

my topfin betta heater , i thin kit does nothing, it might work, but only a lil bit
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #6 
Fin Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Heaters are one thing you don't want to go cheap on. I have had GREAT luck with the Hydor Theo ... I have used the 25W and the 50W. I'm currently using the 50W in my 5 gallon. It's $20 - $25, but worth it because I have less worry than I'd have with a cheap-o China job failing and cooking my fish!
The price is why I'm asking if anyone has used them. There are expensive american products that also don't work that well, too. I'll look into the Hydor, though. I'm just sort of shopping around and was curious.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin Fancier View Post
The price is why I'm asking if anyone has used them. There are expensive american products that also don't work that well, too. I'll look into the Hydor, though. I'm just sort of shopping around and was curious.
Sorry, did not read carefully, never had experience with the one you mentioned.

I was tempted to try Eheim, but decide to go with Aqueon which I am familiar with and had no problems. I would not skimp on heater as the temperature variations are not good for the livestock.

You also have to check the maximum submersible line (as in the heater is not 100% submersible) versus the minimum submersible line (as in the jeater is fully submersible and water cannot go below a certain level and you have the option of putting it in a horizontal position).

I was looking at a Fluval 100W and it is not 100% submersible because it has a maximum submersible line....
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

my favorite economy heater is this one...
tried and tested by yours truly... two of them!
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=96747674293
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #9 
Fin Fancier

Thanks for the info aokashi. :) I'll have a look.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

EBay is your friend. I have like 7 various heaters I use.
Marineland Stealth
Marineland? Nepture
Top Fin
Aqueon
Hagen elite
Tetra
and some random one I got from a seller in China.

The only one I DO NOT recommend are the Tetra preset ones as they dont work for crap.
Top Fin - I have had no issues and mine came used but they eem to have a reputation for cracking in the water?

The Neptune one was my fav and was always spot on but sadly it got craced when I moved out of Alaska last year I dont even thin they mae them anymore

Hagen Elites are nice becuase they are only like 5 inches or so tall so they fir well into smaller bowls/tanks. There are aparently 2 kinds. One has a clip that attaches to the tank lid and I beleive is the older version. The there is a submersible version that says its "preset" but it is actually adjustable.

Aqueon seems to work well as well as the random one I got from Asia. Just make sure if you get one from Hong Kong/china/tawian that it is in the right voltage as the sell both US and Europe versions.

Marineland Stealth - not sure if they still mae these either but it keeps the temps pretty good. Drawback is that it is a tall heater and will barely fit into the larger Kritter Keepers. It has a hard plastic shell around the whole heater so it wont shatter BUT there is no light that goes on and off like the other brands

EDIT...

OOOH the one Aoashi posted looks like my random heater I got from asia :D Except mine is 50 watts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200806923306

Last edited by Tikibirds; 02-23-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote