Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #1 
Lunchbox148

Fin rott.. have some questions!

Hello every one, I bought some new plants the other day and washed them in warm water before I put them in but now my betta has fin rott, He has what looks like rotting black-gray tips at a few of the ends of his anal fin. I have treated him with Maracyn Two already but I have made the decision to treat him again. I'm not a fan of putting him in a hostibital tank because I believe that would add to his stress plus I would feel more safe treating the whole tank... My question is how much salt should I use and what is the recomended amount? And what temp is recommended... Also Should I do water changes while treatment? I just did a 100% change before treating him.. He has fin rot like 2 weeks ago and it all whent away but when I added these plants he got it again, within 24 hours.. Thanks a lot everyone for your time, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? currently 81-82 because he is sick but usually at 79-80
Does your tank have a filter?Mini Bow 5 Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nope
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Used to have ghost shrimp but i took them out

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 2 different types of pellets, and frozen blood worms on occasion.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?twice a week (aquarium is not cycled yet)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? De-chlorine, sometimes stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity: ????????????????????????????

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes Maracyn Two
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? Just reached adaulthood
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #2 
callistra

I doubt the plants caused the rot, but they could have. Moreover I'm seeing your water change schedule during cycling to be a problem. You shouldn't rely on a schedule during cycling. You should be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite using a reliable drops kit and doing an extra 50% change any time you see traces of either. The regular 50% change should include a siphon to clean the water. If you have a few plants, siphon around the plants and don't disturb them. You will see ammonia spike first, then you will see some nitrites. Ammonia will eventually fall and stay at 0 even after a full week of no water changes, and then nitrites. At this point the weekly 50% change with siphon should keep nitrates <20ppm. Cycling can take up to 2 months.

You shouldn't use a sick fish to cycle a tank. Treating the tank with the antibiotics will toast whatever cycle you have. Instead I would increase changes to twice weekly 50% and 90% (siphon right down to gravel but don't disturb it) and add some aquarium salt at 1 tsp per gallon predissolved (can't use it with live plants which should be qted a month anyway to make sure they don't bring disease along)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
Lunchbox148

When I put the plants in, the water quickly went south quickly and was very murky, and the filter was filled with plant junk so i cleared it out with used tank water, and did a 2, 50% changes in a hour's time and still it looked pretty murky... I think that is what caused it, that and maybe stress because i kept moving them around to try to make it look "nice" I threw them all away exept for the moss balls.... I'm going to add more salt right now, I put the recommended amount initally (1 table spoon per 5 gallon) Do you think it would be okay to put another tea spoon in because he's sick? What temp should i keep his tank? Is 82 okay? Thanks a lot!!!
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #4 
callistra

Sounds like your plants melted and caused an ammonia spike which probably increased the fin rot. Plants have an acclimation phase too.

What kinds did you get and what kind of light are you running?

1 tsp per gallon on the sale. Make sure you take the plants out.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote